Statement of Inclusion
We, the members of Residence Life at the University of Massachusetts Lowell, strive to cultivate an inclusive community that encourages self-awareness and embraces all expression of identities, including but not limited to people of all abilities, ages, ethnicities, classes, gender, gender expressions, national origins, races, religions, sexes, sexual orientations, and veteran statues within our campus community. We expect a culture that constructively confronts acts of intolerance and disrespect. We are strongly committed to creating an inclusive and healthy community that promotes a socially just environment.
Diversity & Inclusion at UMass Lowell Residence Life
Diversity, inclusion and social justice are top priority for the Office of Residence Life at UMass Lowell. The residential community at UMass Lowell is vibrant and diverse, and the Office of Residence Life strives to create an inclusive environment for people of all identities. Some key initiatives from Residence Life include:
- Residence Life Inclusion Committee: Overseen by the Associate Director of Residence Life for Inclusion, the Inclusion Committee is charged with the responsibility of continuing to grow the Office of Residence Life in all areas of inclusion. This includes, but is not limited to, providing opportunities for personal growth for Residence Life staff, reviewing all policies and procedures through an inclusive lens, and bettering the residential community in areas of inclusion.
- Residential Curriculum and Programming: UMass Lowell has established “Essential Learning Outcomes” for the co-curricular student experience. One of these outcomes is Diversity and Cultural Awareness. Hall staff support this objective by designing programs and attending campus events with a diversity and cultural awareness focus.
- Living Learning Communities: Residence Life has a vibrant LLC program, which includes the “Advocates of Tomorrow” inclusion and social justice themed community.
- Training and Professional Development Opportunities: Every staff member will experience training sessions focusing on inclusion as part of Residence Life’s training curriculum. Professional staff will also have access to professional development funds that can be used to attend conferences focusing on diversity and inclusion themes. Past conferences Residence Life staff have attended include the Social Justice Training Institute, NCORE, and the Consortium of Higher Education LGBT Resource Professionals conference.
- Gender Inclusive Housing and Bathroom Policies: Residence Life offers a gender inclusive housing option open to all students. Gender inclusive bathrooms are also available at various locations, and students, faculty, and staff are able to use the facility that corresponds to their gender identity.
If you are interested in learning more about inclusion initiatives and resources at UMass Lowell, please check-out the university’s Diversity Portal for a comprehensive overview of policies, resources, and initiatives.