Steps to apply for a Federal PLUS Loan online
IMPORTANT: All wishing to borrow a Federal Direct PLUS Loan MUST have completed a FAFSA
- Go to www.studentloans.gov and “Log In” with the same FSA ID used to complete the FAFSA
- Follow the instructions to "Apply for a PLUS Loan" (parents complete the PLUS request for parents, Graduate students complete PLUS request for graduate/professional students)
- Complete all requested data (academic year, school, amount borrowing, etc.) and authorize the Department of Education to check your credit
- If credit is approved, first time Federal Direct PLUS Loan borrowers must complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN). This is completed on the same website
- Once these steps are complete, the Department of Education will send notification to UMass Lowell within 2-3 business days for further review
- Once finalized, the loan will show as anticipated aid on your student’s bill. The MPN must be complete before this will occur.
Find more detailed instructions on applying for the Parent PLUS Loan and the GRAD PLUS Loan.
Contact The Solution Center if you need help applying or deciding how much to borrow for your PLUS Loan.