You may be eligible to receive financial aid to offset summer course costs.
In March 2024 updates on the Summer Financial Aid process and form will be available.
|Summer Financial Aid Application Available
|Financial Aid Notifications Begin*
|Add / Drop Course Deadlines**
|See the Graduate, Online & Professional Studies (GPS) Website
*From the date of your Summer Financial Aid Application is submitted, please allow a minimum of 2 weeks for processing. Notifications will be sent after that date.
**Current students must be enrolled in Summer 2024 courses to be reviewed for summer financial aid. If a course is dropped prior to the end of the add/drop period, the student is not financially responsible for the course.
Summer Aid Requirements
In order to be considered for summer financial aid, you must:
- Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment into a degree-granting or approved certificate program. Students enrolled in non-degree programs are not eligible for financial aid.
- Be making satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward your degree. Students who are not meeting financial aid SAP and those who are academically suspended or dismissed are not eligible to receive aid.
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits for federal loan eligibility. Undergraduate students may also be considered for Federal Pell Grant eligibility and the UMass Lowell Summer Scholarship at less than 6 credits.
- Meet the basic eligibility requirements for financial aid.
- Must be enrolled in Summer 2024 courses.
Apply For Summer Aid
To apply for summer financial aid, you must:
- Complete the 2023-2024 FAFSA and submit all requested documents by June 30, 2024.
- Complete the UMass Lowell Summer 2024 Summer Financial Aid application when it becomes available.
Summer Aid Programs
- UMASS Lowell Summer Scholarship - Available to undergraduate students seeking a degree or certificate. Scholarship eligibility is determined by a student's demonstrated financial need and requires the UMass Lowell Summer Aid Application to be completed. The average scholarship award is $250.00 per course and requires a minimum enrollment of 3 credits for the Summer 2024 semester.
- Federal Pell Grant - Pell Grant eligible students can receive up to 150% of their scheduled Pell award each year. If a student was a Pell Grant eligible student in the Fall and/or Spring semester, they may qualify for a Pell Grant for the following summer if they are enrolled at least half-time.
- Federal Direct Student Loans - Available to degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in at least 6 credits who have not exceeded their annual limit in the current academic year, including the prior fall and spring semesters. UMass Lowell Summer Aid Application is required.
- Federal Direct PLUS Loans - Available to parents of degree-seeking undergraduate students and to degree-seeking graduate students enrolled in at least 6 credits. Federal Direct PLUS Loan Application must be completed directly with the government.
- Private Loan Programs – Students are strongly encouraged to apply for federal financial aid first. Apply directly with the private lenders.
Summer Aid Disbursements
Summer Financial Aid will be disbursed on or after session I add/drop. Please be aware that if your eligibility for financial aid depends upon your summer session II enrollment, disbursements will be held until after the summer session II add/drop period.
For example: if you are enrolled in 3 credits in session I and 3 credits in session II, your loan will not be disbursed until session II add/drop periods ends because federal loans require a minimum of 6 credits.
Common Reasons for Summer Aid Ineligibility
- You have received your maximum annual loan amount during the prior Fall and Spring semesters. You can review annual loan limits for your grade level.
- You have reached the maximum lifetime loan limit for an undergraduate or graduate student.
- You are enrolled in less than six credits for Summer. In order to be reviewed for federal direct loans, you must be enrolled in at least six credits.
- You are not in the EFC range for Federal Pell Grant eligibility.
- You have reached your maximum lifetime Pell Grant limit.
- You are not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) after the Spring semester. Review the SAP guidelines.
- Current students must be enrolled for the Summer 2024 semester prior to receiving a summer financial aid award.