Master's Programs Overview
Master of Science in Biological Science
There are four options for the Master of Science in Biological Science:
- General Option offers flexibility so students can create a program that fits their educational and employment goals.
- Biotechnology Option focuses on training essential to employment in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries.
- Bioinformatics Option prepares students for academic and industry positions by providing interdisciplinary coursework emphasizing computational analysis and interpretation of biological datasets.
- Education, Communication and Outreach Option offers tailored coursework to prepare graduates to effectively communicate biological and scientific concepts using evidence-based approaches in their desired career paths.
See also the graduate catalog for details on both options.
UMass Intercampus Graduate School Master's Degrees
The UMass Intercampus Graduate School offers two M.S. degrees:
- Marine Science and Technology, contact David Ryan regarding marine science
- Biomedical Engineering and Biotechnology, contact Erno Sajo regarding biomedical engineering.
While it is possible to complete M.S. requirements without the thesis or project option, participation in a research project or thesis is a key activity that can distinguish graduate from undergraduate education. All full-time M.S. degree students are, therefore, strongly urged to elect thesis or project options.