A cost of attendance is developed for each student. These amounts take into account tuition and fees (e.g., instate, out of state, graduate, undergraduate, part time, full time), food and housing, books and supplies, transportation, and personal expenses.
If you have additional expenses, we may be able to increase your cost of attendance to reflect those costs. The expenses must be educationally related and required for you to complete your program. Adequate supporting documentation is required.
Examples of such expenses may include:
- Computer purchase
- Dependent care expenses
- Disability-related expenses
- Musical instruments required by the student’s academic program
- Nursing scrubs & other medical equipment
- Unusually high living expenses above the standard budget amounts
Please note: Cost of attendance appeals will not make students eligible for additional grant aid, they are a means for adjusting the cost of attendance so students can apply for additional loan funds to cover such expenses.
Additionally, if your FAFSA is selected for the verification process, verification must be completed before we can review your appeal request.
- Step 1: Please review our standard Cost of Attendance information
- Step 2: If you believe that you have educational costs that exceed our standard Cost of Attendance, please contact the Solution Center at 978-934-2000 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your personal circumstances with a Specialist, and determine if you meet the requirements to proceed with an appeal. You will then be provided with the Appeal for Additional Loan Form to complete.
- Step 3: The completed Appeal for Additional Loan form must be submitted to the Solution Center with supporting documentation, which may vary based on your individual circumstances. The Appeal Form will include sample supporting documentation that may be submitted, but is not exhaustive. This form and supporting documentation will be provided to the Appeals Committee for review. If additional documentation is needed to support the appeal, you will be notified by the Appeals Committee.
- Step 4: Once the Appeal Form and all appropriate documentation is provided to the Solution Center, we anticipate that a decision will be made within five to ten business days. Notification will be provided to your UMass Lowell (UML) Student Email address about any adjustments made as a result of the appeal. The submission of an appeal is not a guarantee of approval.