The University of Massachusetts Lowell Seeks to Employ Veterans

UMass Lowell welcomes veterans as members of our workforce and student body, and embrace their skills and contributions to this community. We also comply with the relevant federal and state rights of Protected Veterans and members of the National Guard and Reserve.

Guidelines and Resources

Please see the Guidelines for Veterans on the Guidelines and Procedures page. 

Student veterans, please see our Student Services for Veterans website.

Invitation to Self-Identify for Veterans

The University of Massachusetts Lowell is subject to the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, as amended by the Jobs for Veterans Act of 2002, 38 U.S.C. 4212 (VEVRAA).  This requires that we take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment Protected Veterans as defined below.

If you are a Protected Veteran, you are respectfully requested to self-identify your status.  We request this information in order to measure the effectiveness of our positive outreach and recruitment efforts related to VEVRAA.  To self identify as a Protected Veteran in general, or as one or more of the categories defined below, please contact Equal Opportunity and Outreach at 978-934-3565. This information will be kept confidential. 


Protected Veterans under VEVRAA

Disabled Veteran
Defined as one of the following:

  • A veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or
  • A person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
Active Duty Wartime or Campaign Badge Veteran
  • Defined as a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense. 
Armed Forces Service Medal Veteran 
  • Defined as a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985. 
Recently Separated Veteran
  • Defined as any veteran who has been discharged during the last three years from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
Please note: If you identify as a Recently Separated Veteran, please inform us of your date of separation from service.

Additional Information

Additional information may be found at U.S. Office of Personnel Management, or by calling Equal Opportunity and Outreach.

If you wish to report a concern or file a complaint regarding your veterans/reserve status, you may contact EOO at 978-934-3565. Simply calling our office does not constitute filing a complaint. 

At any time, you may contact the following regarding filing an external complaint.

  • The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
    John F. Kennedy Federal Building
    Boston, MA 02203
    TTY: 800-669-6820

  • The Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD)
    One Ashburton Place
    Sixth Floor, Room 601
    Boston, MA 02108
    TTY: 617-994-6196

  • Office for Civil Rights
    Boston Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    33 Arch Street, Suite 900
    Boston, MA 02110-1491
    TDD: 877-521-2172

Report a Concern

If you would like to report a concern because you feel you have been treated differently because of your veteran status, please go to the Report a Concern page.