The field of public health is ever changing and expanding. It has played a major role in promoting the health of the nation, the world and in extending life expectancy. It is expected that the growing demand for public health professional will confront a critical shortage in the near future. A four-course, 12 credit Graduate Certificate Program in Public Health Studies is intended for individuals with diverse health, natural science and social science backgrounds who are interested in careers in public health. The courses offered in the certificate program are foundation courses in the MPH program. The certificate is expected to serve as a conduit into the MPH Program for students who are not yet ready for application/admission. The certificate program will enable students to decide whether they should apply to a 42 credit MPH program. The graduate certificate will also provide students in the health care field with the additional course work to advance careers in the area of public health.
Upon acceptance into the MPH program, the 12 credits from the Graduate certificate in Public Health with a course grade of 3.0 pr higher may be transferred into the MPH degree program.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a minimum GPA of 3.000
- Completed Certificate Application form
- Official Transcript from the baccalaureate institution
- Completed undergraduate courses in Statistics and either Biology or Anatomy & Physiology with grades of C or above.
- Citizens of non-English speaking countries who have never earned an academic degree in the United States must submit TOEFL scores.
For more information please contact: Leland Ackerson, Ph.D. at Leland_Ackerson@uml.edu.
ECElective Courses (Choose Three 3-credit courses - total of 9 credits):