A completed application for undergraduate admission includes the items listed below. All necessary forms related to the common application are available for download there.
- A completed Common Application or UMass Lowell Application.
- Your application fee or fee waiver.
- Your score from the Scholastic Aptitude Test* (SAT) or the American College Test (ACT). The CEEB (College Entrance Examination Board) code number for UMass Lowell is 3911. (UMass Lowell is reviewing only the math and critical reading sections of the SAT).
- Your high-school transcript. Be sure the transcript includes your first marking period grades. Applicants should ask their guidance counselors to forward the transcript to UMass Lowell.
- A personal essay responding to a question on the Common Application or one of the questions below (250-500 words):
- What do you do in your spare time?
- What is the greatest challenge your generation will face? What ideas do you have for dealing with this issue?
- Formulate the perfect admissions essay question and answer it.
- If mailing or emailing your essay to our office, please remember to write your full name on each page.
- One letter of recommendation from someone who is familiar with your abilities and experience (a teacher, guidance counselor, coach, employer, etc.). Download the recommendation form (pdf).
- A TOEFL/ELPT test score, if English is not your first language or if your method of instruction is not in English.
*The 2016 Redesigned SAT: In March of 2016, the College Board will launch the redesigned SAT exam. UMass Lowell will accept current and redesigned SAT scores beginning in spring 2016 for purposes of admission and merit based scholarship consideration. More information regarding the new SAT can be found on the College Board website