UMass Lowell accepts self-reported SAT and ACT scores. Here's what you need to know:

When will UMass Lowell accept self-reported test scores?

Starting with applications for the fall 2021 semester, first-year students applying for admission can submit self-reported test scores for application review.

Why did you create the Reserved Placement Program (RPP)?

More students apply for fall entry than we can accommodate. We wanted to create a seamless pathway for more students to choose UMass Lowell. If you see yourself at UMass Lowell, this program is perfect for you.

Is this like being placed on a waitlist?

No. This is an offer of admission, contingent on students completing a minimum of 12 transferable credits with a minimum GPA of 2.500. Students on our waitlist have not received an offer of admission. There is no guarantee they will receive one.

Why is UMass Lowell accepting self-reported test scores?

This process is best for our students. Allowing self-reported scores to be used for admission helps students complete their application sooner and more efficiently. Because students have a limited number of schools they can send scores to free of charge, allowing self-reported scores to be used for admission removes the possible financial barrier of ordering official scores to be sent as part of the admission process. We will not require official scores be sent until/if a student chooses to enroll at UMass Lowell.

Can’t I just go to community college and transfer to UMass Lowell on my own?

You can, and plenty of students do. Enrolling through the Reserved Placement Program has several advantages:

  • You will not have to reapply for admission to UMass Lowell. Students who meet the requirements of the RPP will be guaranteed entry after a minimum of one semester.
  • UMass Lowell will provide academic advising at no cost to you. A dedicated UMass Lowell transfer counselor will work with you to be sure you are taking the correct courses.
  • We will regard you as our student from day one. You will have the ability to obtain a UMass Lowell ID card, attend our January orientation, have a UMass Lowell transfer counselor advise you throughout the program, and be welcome to attend UMass Lowell sports games and events.
How do I participate?

Applicants should report scores in the section provided on the Common Application or the UMass Lowell Application and are encouraged to report all scores for all test dates. If an applicant plans to take additional tests after submitting their application, please indicate this in the test plans and be sure to submit these additional scores to the admissions office using the applicant portal.

How do I find out how much it will cost?

RPP will lower your costs. When you are enrolled at the community college, you will pay the tuition rates for that community college. When you transfer to UMass Lowell, you will pay UMass Lowell tuition rates.

Students who live on campus will pay UMass Lowell’s Housing and Food Plan Costs.

Will you need official test scores?

While admissions decisions can be made in lieu of receiving official SAT or ACT scores, students will not be permitted to actually enroll until official results are received from The College Board and/or ACT and confirmed to be accurate. Inaccurate reporting of scores will jeopardize your admission and may result in a revocation of an offer of admission.

Can I stay at the community college for more than a semester?

RPP lasts for up to one academic year; however, RPP students can remain at their community college to take advantage of Mass Transfer benefits. They will need to re-apply as a transfer student when they decide to enroll at UMass Lowell.

For continued enrollment in RPP (and housing), students must have a GPA of at least 2.000 after one year. Students who do not maintain the minimum academic requirements will be removed from RPP and housing (as applicable) and will be advised by a transfer counselor on next steps.

When will you need official test scores?

Students admitted based on self-reported scores must instruct the testing agency to send scores no later than June 1, and prior to attending orientation.

Can I still be considered for entrance to the Honors College and receive a merit-based scholarship?

Yes. However, we will need official test scores prior to enrolling in courses. Inaccurate reporting of scores will jeopardize your admission and may result in a revocation of an offer of admission, merit scholarship award and entrance to the Honors College.

What community colleges can I attend?

Middlesex Community College is our primary partner for the Reserved Placement Program. They offer a specific orientation for the Reserved Placement Program, a program coordinator and students are able to live at UMass Lowell while completing their courses at Middlesex Community College.

RPP Students can also enroll at any community college and transition to UMass Lowell (after meeting the requirements of the program). Students will need to complete the application for the community college of their choice and follow the same enrollment process as any new community college student.

The RPP Coordinator at UMass Lowell can provide students with a list of courses that need to be completed at their community college of choice to be eligible to transition to UMass Lowell.

RPP students have enrolled at:

  • Bunker Hill Community College
  • Mass Bay Community College
  • Middlesex Community College
  • North Shore Community College
  • Northern Essex Community College
  • Quinsigamond Community College
  • Roxbury Community College
Can international students submit self-reported test scores?

Yes, international students applying for admission may submit self-reported SAT/ACT scores with some exceptions. Students who are required to submit English proficiency exams must submit official scores with their application for admission. UMass Lowell accepts official TOEFL, IELTS, Pearson, Duolingo and UMass Lowell English Proficiency Test scores.

Do I need to take placement tests at my community college?

Maybe. Some community colleges in Massachusetts require placement tests and some do not. You will be notified directly by your selected community college of any needed placement tests.

Can I major in anything I want?

For 2024-2025, this program is offered for students who will enroll in majors within the Manning School of Business; the College of Fine Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences (excluding Education majors); the Francis College of Engineering; and the Kennedy College of Sciences.

Students in the program are admitted into one of the majors they applied to. If a student is interested in pursuing a different major at UMass Lowell, please speak with our RPP Coordinator who can help you plan your pathway to one of those majors.

Please note that that students interested in selecting a major within the Francis College of Engineering and the Kennedy College of Sciences will need to demonstrate appropriate math and science preparation.

Can transfer students submit self-reported test scores?

Students who have fewer than 12 credits may be required to submit SAT or ACT scores along with an official high school transcript to determine admissibility. Transfer applicants in this category should work directly with transfer counselors. Please contact Transfer Admissions by email at for any questions or clarification.

I was admitted to RPP for my second-choice major. What if I want to study my first-choice major?

RPP is designed to support the transition of students to any of our majors in the College of Fine Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences; the Manning School of Business; the Francis College of Engineering; and the Kennedy College of Sciences. If you are interested in pursuing a major in another college at UMass Lowell, please speak with our RPP Coordinator who can help you plan your pathway to one of those majors.

What if I already have college/AP credits?

Please send official college transcripts and official AP score reports to both UMass Lowell and your selected community college. We want to make sure to give you credit for the work you’ve already completed.

How do I get housing when attending Middlesex Community College?

Students accepted into RPP can apply to live at UMass Lowell as part of the MCC cohort. Students can review deadlines and information on the housing contract.

Joining the Middlesex Community College Reserved Placement Program (MCC2UML) Living-Learning Community is a great way to live in a residence hall alongside other UMass Lowell students and participate in community-building programs that work to help balance an academic and social life. MCC2UML students can select to live in any UMass Lowell residence hall and will register for a course instructed by a member of the UMass Lowell Residence Life staff.

UMass Lowell does not provide transportation to Middlesex Community College. Students living at UMass Lowell can take advantage of the Lowell Regional Transit Authority (LRTA) buses to travel to Middlesex Community College at no cost – just present your student ID.

MCC2UML also has a dedicated faculty/staff member who provides mentorship beyond the classroom, runs programs and day trips dedicated to career development and assists with the transition to college.

What other privileges will I have as an RPP student living on campus?

As an RPP student living on campus and attending Middlesex Community College, you are entitled to many of the benefits that our UMass Lowell students have. You can use the libraries, the Wellness Center and the Campus Recreation Center. You can eat in the university dining halls, can get involved with many UMass Lowell student organizations and enjoy any of our athletic events for free.

Can I participate in varsity or club sports?

RPP students can’t participate in any varsity or club athletic programs.

Can RPP students work on campus?

Most on-campus work at UMass Lowell or at any community college is through federal work-study, which will be awarded in your financial aid package. When you are a student at your selected community college, you may be able to secure work-study on that campus. When you transfer to UMass Lowell, you may be able to secure a work-study job on our campus.

Who can I speak to if I have questions about the RPP program?

Please contact Transfer Admissions by email: or phone: 978-934-3931.

How do I enroll in the Reserved Placement Program?

To register, please fill out the Reserved Placement Program Registration form. Please note that you will need to complete a separate application for the community college of your choice. If you have any questions, please contact Transfer admissions by email at or phone at 978-934-3931. 

The UMass Lowell Office of Undergraduate Admissions remains committed to a fair application review process. Please feel free to contact us by email at if you have any additional questions or concerns.