A completed application for undergraduate admission includes the items listed below. All necessary forms related to the common application are available for download there.
- A completed Common Application or UMass Lowell Application.
- Your application fee or fee waiver.
- Your score from the Scholastic Aptitude Test* (SAT) or the American College Test (ACT). The CEEB (College Entrance Examination Board) code number for UMass Lowell is 3911. (UMass Lowell is reviewing only the math and critical reading sections of the SAT).
- Your high-school transcript. Applicants should ask their guidance counselors to forward the transcript to UMass Lowell.
- A personal essay responding to a question on the Common Application or one of the questions below (250-500 words):
- What do you do in your spare time?
- What is the greatest challenge your generation will face? What ideas do you have for dealing with this issue?
- Formulate the perfect admissions essay question and answer it.
- If mailing or emailing your essay to our office, please remember to write your full name on each page.
- One letter of recommendation from someone who is familiar with your abilities and experience (a teacher, guidance counselor, coach, employer, etc.). If you are using our web application, please feel free to download the recommendation form (pdf).
- A TOEFL/ELPT test score, if English is not your first language or if your method of instruction is not in English.
- If you are applying as a music major, you must complete an in-person entrance audition with the music department.
- If you are applying as a Art and Design applicant, you must submit a portfolio.
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view any pdf files. It can be download for free from the Adobe website.