Critical Information for All Students Applying to Programs in the Department of Music
General Entrance Audition Information for All Applicants
Admission to all programs in the Department of Music is by entrance audition only. All prospective freshmen and undergraduate transfer students must pass the entrance audition on an instrument or voice to be admitted into Music, in addition to all University admissions requirements.
It is expected that students will spend extensive time in preparation for the entrance audition: private instrumental or vocal instruction is critical. Students auditioning must demonstrate sufficient technical and musical skill on an instrument or in the vocal area to provide evidence of readiness to undertake college level instruction.
All students will be notified of their status by e-mail and post within 10 days after their audition date or video submission is received.
Admission is a 2-Step Process
- Submit an application to the University’s Undergraduate Admissions Office.
- Schedule an entrance audition (audition requirements webpage).
- In addition, Composition for New Media requires an entrance portfolio be submitted, via the Music Audition submission portal. For more information on the Composition for New Media portfolio requirements, please visit the Composition for New Media webpage.
In-Person Audition Dates for Fall 2023
In-person auditions are strongly encouraged so that applicants have the opportunity to visit campus and engage with current students and faculty. However, we understand that traveling from outside the greater New England area may not be possible. Please email Music_Auditions@uml.edu for information on submitting a remote video audition.
- Friday, January 6, 2023 - for Spring 2023 transfers and Early Admits.
- Saturday, February 25, 2023 - All applicants.
- Friday, March 17, 2023 - All applicants.
- Saturday, April 15, 2023 - All applicants.