MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR COLLEGE EXPERIENCE
Living-Learning Communities (LLCs) are intentional learning environments that are heavily supported by the various Colleges and Schools that comprise UMass Lowell, and by many offices that enrich student learning outside of the classroom. LLC students live together in designated floors within each residence hall and often share the same major, passion or career interest. Each LLC is supported by a team comprised of a Faculty/Staff Advisor, Resident Advisor, Resident Director or Area Coordinator to help advise the community.
Resident Advisors create programs for LLC students that help to make connections, build skills and expose them to opportunities happening across campus that will promote their growth and development as people, community members and scholars. The team works closely with the students in each LLC to create a dynamic, intense and engaged living-learning environment with a strong focus on student development and academic success.
Through living and participating in an LLC, students will be provided with intentional and meaningful opportunities that will help them to make purposeful links between the academic and co-curricular components of their college experience.
Living on-campus can be a wonderful experience. However, the chance to live with fellow students whom are passionate and motivated by common interests provides LLC students with limitless opportunities for leadership development, academic success and meaningful relationships to be formed.
We encourage you to explore our different LLCs and to get in touch with us if you have questions. Below you will find details on the various types of LLCs we have, as well as a complete list of each LLC that we offer – click on an LLC you want to know more about and you will be directed to that LLCs page where you can find the community description, learning objectives and faculty/staff advisor contact information, along with information on how to sign-up!
TYPES OF LLCs
- First-Year LLCs: For new students joining the UMass Lowell Community for the first time (typically new students that have less than 24 credits would be considered a first-year student).
- Upper-Class LLCs: For Transfer, Sophomore, Junior and Senior students (students who have earned, or transferred in, 25 or more credits).
- Mixed LLCs: For all students – first-year through senior year.
Living-Learning Community Staff
- Associate Director for Living-Learning Communities: provides oversight for the entire LLC program, helping to create a vision for the future.
- Coordinator of Living-Learning Communities: coordinates the signature events, major initiatives and provides support to the day-to-day LLC operations.
- Resident Directors & Area Coordinators: facilitate the day-to-day operations of their respective LLCs, along with supervising the Resident Advisors.
- Resident Advisors: create programming initiatives and engaging events that meet the needs of their respective LLC.
- Faculty/Staff Advisors: collaborate and partner with the Residence Life team to create a Living-Learning experience that will help students achieve success. We have two Faculty in Residence for our Commonwealth Honors LLC, who live in our residence halls and provide additional programming to LLC residents.