Thank Your Scholarship Donor
This is a required part of receiving an endowed scholarship! The endowed scholarships are funded through generous contributions made by our alumni, industry partners and friends of the university. It is important to acknowledge those contributions that help ease the financial burden of attending college for so many students.
Scholarship donors are interested in learning about the students they support. The goal of a thank you letter to your donor is to thank them for the generous contribution to your education and to share a little about yourself so that your donors can learn about you. Download a sample letter (pdf).
Instructions for Writing Your Thank You Letter
- If NOT awarded through the Riverhawk Scholarship Portal, send your letter by email to: Kathleen_Madaus@uml.edu in a Word Document in 12 point Times New Roman font. Download a sample letter (pdf).
- In the upper left-hand corner, please include your name, the scholarship you received, your major and your expected year of graduation.
- DO NOT address your letter to the first name of your donor. Begin the letter with Mr., Ms., Mrs., and/or Dr., as appropriate (i.e. Dear Mr. Williams,).
- DO NOT include the scholarship amount you have received.
- DO NOT date your letter.
- Be sure to include a proper closing (such as Sincerely or Cordially) with your typed name.
- At the bottom of your letter, insert a photo of yourself. Selfies are acceptable.
- Reference the full name of your scholarship/award in the body of your letter.
- Express your gratitude for the scholarship or award - use the words "thank you,” and tell the donor how the scholarship will help you. Be specific!
- Include information about yourself, where you are from, your major, any activities you are involved in (leadership experience, sports, campus activities, volunteer activities, etc.) and your career goals.
- Be clear and concise.
- Check and recheck spelling and grammar!