Navigating through the maze of resources can be challenging and knowing where to start is a common question, particularly if you are unfamiliar with the landscape or university culture. The Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) helps to guide you through these and other common situations while also helping you ‘find your place’ on campus, both virtually and in-person.
UMass Lowell’s array of programs and services helps international students to discover new ways to connect, learn, grow and succeed.
OMA can provide:
- a safe place to process experiences, situations, or events
- support to work through common communication gaps or misinterpretations
- help on navigating the university system in culturally relevant ways
- ways to strengthen personal success and connections to important resources on and off campus
- culturally relevant strategies to address discrimination, racism, and bias incidents
- community building opportunities
Friday, Sept 17: Kayaking at the UMass Lowell Boathouse
Join us for a leisurely paddle on Lowell's beautiful Merrimack River. We will review the basic strokes and river safety before we paddle upstream for a short trip to the boat house and explore the river banks, bridges, and possibly a tunnel under a historic mill. It's amazing how much more relaxed and enjoyable the river can be from a seat of the kayak.
- Complete an online wavier on the UMass Lowell Kayak Center website
- Registration for 3:30 - 5:30 p.m. session
- Registration for 6-8 p.m. session
International Education Week
International Education Week (IEW) is November 15-19, 2021. Events to be announced soon! Email: Allyson_Lynch@uml.edu if you would like to host an event as part of IEW.
Programs will be both virtual and in-person for Fall 2021
- New International Student Orientation
- New International Student Welcome Guide
- New International Student Resource Series
- Culture Shock Talks on Fridays from 10-11 a.m. virtually on September 10, September 17, September 24, October 1, and October 8.
- English Conversation Group on Fridays from 11 a.m.-12 p.m. virtually on September 10, September 17, September 24, October 1, and October 8.
- Pair Up Program: a partnership program that pairs international students with domestic students in bridging culture and enhancing community through an interactive learning process. Meetings are biweekly both in-person and virtual.
- International Education Week
- Community Building Events
- Campus Recreation Center Trips
- Winter Clothing Drive (postponed until November 2021)
- Holiday celebrations (Pumpkin Carving, Holi, Chinese New Year and more)
- OMA Senior Send Off (spring semester)