The five Pillars of Inclusive Excellence are designed to dovetail with the Pillars of Excellence established for the campus.
1. Institutional Commitment & Alignment:
Examine, establish and enact university’s policies, structures and practices and align them with UML’s commitment to DEI.
- Ensuring that the university’s policies and practices are equitable for all members in the community.
- Increase campus visibility of university DEI values, objections actions and progress, i.e., dashboard to include metrics on DEI, regular campus communications including use of multimedia formats including video, social media, our website and campus signage.
- Communicate clearly and often that DEI is everyone’s responsibility with each member and unit understanding our vision and owning responsibility for their role it.
- Ensure sufficient campus resources to support DEI education, access and success.
2. Recruitment & Retention of Diverse Faculty, Staff & Students:
Prioritize the recruitment and retention of diverse faculty, staff and students in order to build a more diverse, inclusive and equitable institution.
- Strengthen the recruitment, retention and advancement of diverse faculty, staff and students.
- Promote thriving inclusive environment and create a healthy culture of DEI, increasing access, promoting collaboration, and instilling a sense of belonging for all members of the UML community.
- Identify opportunities for personal and professional growth, such as mentorship, DEI advocates/champions, and initiatives to support and advance the workforce.
3. Culturally Responsive Academic Excellence:
Provide students, staff and faculty with a culturally responsive education and learning opportunities that incorporate our campus values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Enhance and elevate training opportunities for all faculty and staff, including leadership training, and student body aimed at building cultural competence and raising knowledge and awareness of experiences of marginalized populations and how discriminatory or exclusionary practices adversely affect individuals and our community.
- Identify safe spaces for faculty, staff and students to facilitate DEI discussions, support difficult conversations and reflection, and for members of underrepresented communities to talk about their experiences and to offer solutions to improve campus climate.
- Restructure and extend freshman seminar experience to include DEI.
- Facilitate ongoing learning & professional development around DEI through the Center for Teaching & Learning, including raising awareness of campus DEI resources.
- Ensure DEI is embedded in the curriculum of across all disciplines.
- Become a catalyst for change by engaging in community action, building community and sharing our story on our impact to social justice, diversity, and inclusion.
4. Equitable Access and Success:
Monitor, track and promote diversity of participants in all aspects of campus life to achieve an inclusive community with outcomes and success dictated by character not privilege.
- Facilitate access to achievement, success, training and recognition for all students, faculty and staff.
- Improve UML metrics in retention and graduation across all student populations to ensure equity in student graduation and career outcomes.
- Elevate DEI best practices, appropriate criteria and methods to best support student success including dimensions of wellbeing, infusing DEI into student support programs, engagement opportunities, and the curriculum.
5. Inclusive Culture and Climate:
Create an inclusive environment where individuals and groups can feel welcomed, valued, respected and supported to thrive on campus.
- Create an approach to driving a campus culture of DEI throughout the campus community including a campus DEI communication strategy and increased DEI community engagement and visibility, all aligned with our DEI vision.
- Assess campus DEI environment, i.e., through surveys, and commit to follow up action to ensure an inclusive environment where individuals and groups can feel welcomed, valued, respected and supported to thrive on campus.
- Strengthen UML partnerships with Lowell community and corporate partners in support of fostering DEI.