You have a passion serving others to support positive change in the world. Now you can highlight your community experiences in and beyond the classroom.
Community Engagement Distinction Requirements:
- Sign up and select the Community Engagement Distinction in the RHED portal
- Complete 2 approved courses within the Community Engagement Distinction
- Complete 2 pre-approved experiences within the Community Engagement Distinction
- One of these two experiences must be an unpaid volunteer experience
- Complete guided reflections for courses/ experiences, and submit supporting learning artifacts for each course
- Reflection: An academic reflection is a short essay for assessment in an academic, experiential learning and skill development context. Guided questions/prompts provided
- Learning Artifact: A learning artifact is something that you created in response to a course assignment. It may be an essay, slideshow, website, poster, brochure, or something else.
Approved Community Engagement courses
Pre-approved Community Engagement experiences
RHED Community Engagement Rubric
Option: Students may propose a custom-designed experience or request a course approval by contract.
- Submitted by student to reflect their individual experiences
- Must meet at least half of the Distinction's learning outcomes
- All submissions must be made prior to starting the experience or course
- Individual request approval is managed by the RHED committee members
Upon graduation, the Distinction is added to student's transcript, they receive a certificate, and are awarded a RED braided cord to wear at graduation.