The UMass Lowell River Hawk Experience Distinction - RHED offers students the opportunity to earn recognition for important achievements that combine academic experiences with related “real-world” applications. Upon graduation, students successfully earning a River Hawk Experience Distinction will receive a special notation on their official transcript and a certificate of recognition.
A focus on leadership, entrepreneurship, global engagement, and community engagement are embedded in the traditions of our institution and are reflected in our 2020 Strategic Plan and Pillars of Excellence. RHED provides an opportunity to showcase our core values and benefit students in the following ways:
- Integrate classroom learning experiences with “real world” activities
- Allows students to be more deliberative and reflective about their engagement with these experiences
- Allows students to gain resume and career experiences that are reflected on their transcript
Requirements for completion (currently available to undergraduate students only):
- Two academic courses in the chosen area from an approved list
- Two approved applied (extra- or co-curricular) experiences
With the completion of any requirement, students are required to submit their experience through the RHED Portal and will complete a survey of the experience including a one page or less reflection response. The RHED Portal will notify students when a submission is approved. If you are interested in the program, you must declare your intention for which distinction you intend to complete prior to participating in any of the courses or experiences. Each students may only receive one distinction from the below list.
- Leadership (Fall 2018)
- Entrepreneurship (accepting submissions)
- Global Engagement (Fall 2018)
- Community Engagement (Fall 2018)
Students must apply to be part of the program.
With the completion of any requirement, students are required to submit their experience through our student portal and will complete a survey of the experience including a one page or less reflection response. The student portal will notify students when a submission is approved and reflected as part of their program completion.
Faculty and staff interested in having a course or experience preapproved for a specific track above will be able to do so through a submission form. Specific requirements for learning outcomes are provided on distinctions specific pages under the For Faculty page.