Please find information related to the maintaining of your J-1 status while in the United States and at UMass Lowell.
  • Health Insurance Requirements: J-1 Scholars are expected to maintain a certain level of health insurance coverage for themselves and any accompanying J-2 dependents.
  • Out of Country Requests: Should you need to be outside of the US for an extended period of time (30 days or 15 days depending on your J-1 visa category), you will need explicit authorization to do so from the ISSO.
  • Incidental Employment: J-1 research scholars (including short-term scholars) and professors may be authorized to participate in occasional lectures and short-term consultations that are incidental to the J-1 scholar’s primary program activities, though they need authorization from the ISSO to do so.
  • End of Program Procedures: Before ending a J-1 program at UMass Lowell, it is imperative that the ISSO is aware of your plans to advise accordingly to ensure compliance.