- Must be directly related to the objectives of the scholar’s Exchange Visitor Program duties at UMass Lowell*;
- Must be incidental to the scholar’s primary UMass Lowell program activities*;
- Must not delay the completion of the scholar’s UMass Lowell Exchange Visitor Program*; and
- Must be documented in SEVIS
Types of Incidental Employment
- A J-1 scholar will provide occasional lectures or short-term consultations at an on campus or off-site location and will be reimbursed by UMass Lowell.
- A J-1 scholar will present at a conference and will receive reimbursement for flights, hotels, or meals or stipend from conference organizers or a third-party institution.
- A J-1 scholar will be a guest lecture for a seminar series and will receive a stipend from an outside institution or UMass Lowell.
- A J-1 scholar will provide unpaid occasional lectures or short-term consultations.
Requesting Authorization for Incidental Employment
To request authorization for incidental, occasional lectures or short-term consultations, the scholars should complete our J-1 Incidental Employment e-form. Through completion of the e-form, the ISSO will review the request and provide the necessary authorization to permit the incidental employment while ensuring compliance.