Some J-1 Exchange Visitors and their dependents may be subject to the Two-Year Home Residence Requirement (212e). This requirement is different from the 12-month and 24-month J-1 Repeat Participation Bars. It is very important to read and understand section 1(a) on the second page of your Form DS-2019. 

The 212(e) requirement is normally associated with government funding (your country’s or U.S. government funding) and/or the skills list. Please review the U.S. State Department’s Skills List by Country for additional information. 

If you are subject to 212(e), it does not mean that you cannot return to the U.S. for two years in any nonimmigrant status, (for example, in student or tourist status). However, it does mean that you cannot change status in the U.S. or obtain a work visa (H-1B), permanent residency (green card) or an intra-company transferee visa (L-1A/B) unless this requirement is waived or until it is met.  

The Consular Officer may indicate this requirement on your visa and/or DS2019 and a U.S. CBP officer may indicate it on your I-94 record when you enter the United States; however, the Department of State Exchange Visitor Program has the final determination concerning this requirement.