How do I get on payroll?

International Students

If you are an international student employee please complete the Form I-9 according to these instructions:

Form I-9

You must provide verification of your identity and eligibility to work in the United States, which is required under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
  • Section 1 of the Form I-9 must be completed by the employee no later than the first day of employment.
  • Section 2 of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification must be completed by a Human Resources Staff Member within three business days of your first day of employment. You must present unexpired original documentation that shows proof of identity and employment authorization to work in the United States. Please refer to Instructions for Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification (pdf) for more information. Failure to comply with any of the above conditions of employment can result in the withdrawal of this employment offer.

New Employee Hire Package

The new employee hire package provides a method to electronically complete and securely submit your employment forms.

The Mandatory OBRA Enrollment Form must be completed separate from the electronic submission process and turned into the Human Resources office.

Other Student Employees

All other student employees visit the Student Employment forms webpage and follow those instructions.

How do I get paid?

For all student employees, once you have confirmed that you have been hired, please visit HR Direct to post any hours you work each week. Here is the reporting time job aid (pdf) to assist you with how you can post your hours.

Student Employment Office (SEO) Forms (NOT Required)

Other Optional Forms:

During the academic year, students who are enrolled for six credits and who are working on campus are exempt from the OBRA retirement contributions (as well as the FICA/Medicare deductions).

During the summer, these deductions will be withheld except for those students who meet specific summer enrollment criteria*.
*In order to claim exemption, you must be registered for at least 6 credits AND will not be working 37.5 hours per week as a UMass Lowell student employee for the Summer semester.

Additional Student Information: