Skip to Main Content

Reserved Placement Program FAQ

Congratulations on your acceptance to UMass Lowell’s Reserved Placement Program!

The Reserved Placement Program (RPP) is a special enrollment program at UMass Lowell that guarantees your entry into our first-year class in the spring semester, contingent on one semester of successful full-time study at one of our partner community colleges.

Why did you create the RPP?

More students apply for fall entry than we can accommodate. We wanted to create a seamless pathway for more students to choose UMass Lowell. If you see yourself at UMass Lowell, this program is perfect for you.

Is this like being placed on a waitlist?

No. This is an offer of admission, contingent on 15 transferable credits and a minimum GPA of 2.5 at one of seven partner community colleges. Students on our waitlist have not received an offer of admission. There is no guarantee they will receive one.

Can’t I just go to community college and transfer to UMass Lowell on my own?

You can, and plenty of students do. Enrolling through the Reserved Placement Program program has several advantages:

  • As an RPP accept, you are already admitted at our partnering community colleges.
  • You will not have to reapply for admission to UMass Lowell. Students who meet the requirements of the RPP will be guaranteed entry after one semester.
  • UMass Lowell will provide wrap-around academic advising at no cost to you. We will ensure you take the right courses – with no credit loss at transfer.
  • We will regard you as our student from day one. You will have a UMass Lowell ID card, attend our January orientation, have a UMass Lowell advisor, and be welcomed at UMass Lowell sports games and events.
How do I find out how much it will cost?

RPP will lower your costs. When you are enrolled at the community college, you will pay the tuition rates for that community college. When you transfer to UMass Lowell, you will pay UMass Lowell tuition rates.

When will I receive my financial aid award?

By signing up for the Reserved Placement Program and completing the FAFSA application, you will begin the process to get your UMass Lowell financial aid package for the spring semester. If you decide that you do not want to participate in RPP, simply send an email to Transfer Admissions at: to withdraw.

Can I stay at the community college for more than a semester?

Yes, and we will continue to advise you until you are ready to join us at UMass Lowell.

What community colleges can I attend?

Below is the list of our community college partners.

  • Bunker Hill Community College
  • Mass Bay Community College
  • Middlesex Community College
  • North Shore Community College
  • Northern Essex Community College
  • Quinsigamond Community College
  • Roxbury Community College
Do I need to take placement tests at my community college?

Maybe. Some community colleges in Massachusetts require placement tests and some do not. You will be notified directly by your selected community college of any needed placement tests.

Can I major in anything I want?

For 2020-21, this program is offered for students who will enroll in the Manning School of Business, the College of Fine Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, the Francis College of Engineering and the Kennedy College of Sciences. 

Please note that that students interested in selecting a major within the Francis College of Engineering and Kennedy College of Sciences will need to demonstrate appropriate math and science preparation.

I was admitted to RPP for my second-choice major. What if I want to study my first-choice major?

RPP is designed to support the transition of students to any of our majors in the College of Fine Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, the Manning School of Business, the Francis College of Engineering and the Kennedy College of Sciences. If you are interested in pursuing a major in another college at UMass Lowell, please speak with one of our transfer counselors who can help you plan your pathway to one of those majors.

What if I already have college/AP credits?

Please send official college transcripts and official AP score reports to both UMass Lowell and your selected community college. We want to make sure to give you credit for the work you’ve already completed.

How do I get housing when attending Middlesex Community College?

Students accepted into RPP can apply to live in the UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center as part of the MCC cohort housed together. Students should apply on the online housing portal by May 5 for guaranteed placement.

What is the cost of room and board at the ICC?

For 2019-2020 the proposed cost for the Inn & Conference Center was $4,750 per semester, $9,500 per year.

What privileges will I have as an RPP student living on campus?

As an RPP student living on campus and attending Middlesex Community College, you are entitled to all of the benefits that our UMass Lowell students have. You can use the libraries, the Wellness Center and the Campus Recreation Center. You will eat in the university dining halls, can get involved with UMass Lowell student clubs and organizations, and can enjoy any of our athletic events for free. 

If you do not plan on living on campus, you have access to fewer resources, but are welcome on campus at any time. You can get a UMass Lowell ID card, get involved in student clubs and organizations, use UMass Lowell libraries and enjoy any of our athletic events for free.

Can I still live on campus when I transfer to UML?

Housing is guaranteed once you transfer to UMass Lowell through RPP. A limited number of Middlesex Community College RPP students may live on campus (at the UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center) for the entire year at a discounted rate.

Can RPP students work on campus?

Most on-campus work at UMass Lowell or at any community college is through federal work-study, which will be awarded in your financial aid package. When you are a student at your selected community college, you may be able to secure work-study on that campus. When you transfer to UMass Lowell, you may be able to secure a work-study job on our campus.

Who can I speak to if I have questions about the RPP program?

Please contact Transfer Admissions by email: or phone: 978-934-3943.

How do I enroll in the Reserved Placement Program?

To register please fill out the Reserved Placement Program Registration form using your student id which is located on most communications from the university. If you have any questions please contact Transfer admissions by email: or phone: 978-934-3943 for more information.