Skip to Main Content

Foreign Language Substitution for FAHSS

Foreign Language Substitution (Disability Waiver)

Students enrolled as majors in American Studies, English, History, Liberal Arts (BLA), Peace & Conflict Studies, Philosophy, Psychology, Political Science, Sociology, and World Languages & Cultures must fulfill the FAHSS College Foreign Language Requirement.

Students who are granted an exemption from the FAHSS Foreign Language Requirement due to a documented disability will, without exception, have to fulfill an alternative requirement. Students should work with the Office of Disability Services in order to be granted the Language Substitution option.

The Language Substitution requires 12 credits (4 courses) in one of the clusters listed below. Substitute courses will not be accepted unless approved by the FAHSS Dean's Office. Students may not fulfill the Language Substitution by taking courses from more than one cluster.

Courses taken as part of the Language Substitution may, when appropriate, be used as part of a major, a minor, or in fulfillment of Core Curriculum requirements.

The clusters of courses are based on existing Interdisciplinary minors in the College of FAHSS. When new courses are added to an Interdisciplinary minor, they will also be added to the list of approved courses for the associated cluster. Most of these minors require 18 credits. Students who are doing a Language Substitution cluster (which requires 12 credits) may also, if they choose, complete the associated Interdisciplinary minor (18 credits).  Students should use the declaration of major/minor form to do this, and must obtain the signature of the director of the minor.

Note that some of the courses in the clusters have pre-requisites, and graduate courses (5000-level and above) require instructor permission to enroll. Not all courses are available every semester.

The thematic/topical areas are listed below; click on each cluster topic to see the full list of courses available.

In order to qualify for this accommodation, contact the Office of Disability Services.