Where are international students permitted to work?
- Your Academic Department:
- Check with your academic department first about job possibilities such as teaching assistantships, research assistantships, graduate assistantships or any other type of job within their department.
- On-Campus departments:
- You may also utilize the JobHawk website to apply for UMass Lowell departmental employment. Remember to click on “International Students” to search for on-campus department funded positions.
- On-campus vendors*:
- Employment with the below UMass Lowell vendors are only considered on-campus employment if the job performed is physically done on the UMass Lowell campus. Employment with any vendor other than those listed below is unacceptable as on-campus employment for international students.
- When in doubt, ALWAYS check with the International Students & Scholars Office first.
- Please note: Employment is only considered to be on-campus if the job is physically done on the UMass Lowell Campus. Any variation from the what is considered to be on-campus employment, will jeopardize your F-1 or J-1 student status. For any questions on whether an employment opportunity is considered to be on-campus employment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Job Websites||Address||Contact Information|
|The River Hawk Shop - bookstore and more||University Crossing
220 Pawtucket Street, Lowell, MA
|Aramark Food Services||100 Pawtucket Street, Lowell, MA||Email: email@example.com |
The following locations are NOT permitted as on-campus employment for F-1 or J-1 international students:
- UMass Lowell Innovation Hub (unless employed at the iHub Administration Office, collecting a UMass Lowell paycheck). International students would otherwise require OPT or CPT authorization to work at the iHub.
- Lowell Memorial Auditorium
- Call Center
How many hours per week can an international student work on campus?
- International students must maintain full-time enrollment, as well as comply with all other F-1 or J-1 regulations.
- F-1 and J-1 students are permitted to work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week while school is in session. This is 20 hours per week in total of all combined on-campus jobs. It is not 20 hours per job.
- During the recognized UMass Lowell vacation periods where a student is not in an academic session, international students in F-1 or J-1 status are permitted to work on-campus on a full-time basis as long as they comply with all other F-1 or J-1 regulations.
- Please read the following document regarding How to Calculate 20 Hours of Work per Week.
Attention J-1 Students: J-1 students must report on-campus employment to the ISSO by completing the J-1 On-Campus Employment Reporting e-form.
Regarding Social Security & On-Campus Jobs for International Students:
- You do not need to have a Social Security Number (SSN) to apply for or be offered an on-campus job.
- If a UMass Lowell hiring department has any questions regarding your on-campus employment eligibility as an F-1 or J-1 student, please ask them to contact ISSO directly via phone or by email.
- You may need to have an SSN before starting the job. It takes approximately 2 weeks to obtain your SSN card after applying at the Social Security Administration (SSA) office.
- Once you secure a job offer, you will need to apply for an SSN Letter from the ISSO. More information on this process can be found on our Obtaining a Social Security Number webpage.
Please remember that you do NOT need a Social Security Number to open a bank account in the U.S.
- Your passport and a brief explanation of your status will suffice.
- In order to open a bank account in the U.S. without a Social Security Number, you simply need to complete a W-8 Form (pdf), which can also be obtained by any bank teller.