Most on-campus jobs are based on work-study funding. Unfortunately, international students are not eligible for Work Study funded jobs. You will need to rely on the funding source(s) you presented to the International Students & Scholars Office (ISSO) and the U.S. Embassy when issued F-1 or J-1 status. All Off-Campus Work Authorization for F-1 or J-1 students must have the PRIOR approval of the International Students & Scholars Office and the issuance of a new Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. Failure to obtain Off-Campus Work Authorization through ISSO will jeopardize your F-1 or J-1 student status.

Where are international students legally permitted to work?

  1. Your Academic Department:
    • Check with your academic department first about job possibilities such as teaching assistantships, research assistantships, graduate assistantships or any other type of job within their department.
  2. On-Campus departments:
    • You may also utilize the JobHawk website to apply for UMass Lowell departmental employment. Remember to click on “International Students” to search for On-Campus Department funded positions.
  3. On-campus vendors*:
    • Employment with the below UMass Lowell vendors are only considered on-campus employment if the job performed is physically done on the UMass Lowell campus. Employment with any vendor other than those listed below is unacceptable as on-campus employment for international students.
    • When in doubt, ALWAYS check with the International Students & Scholars Office first.
    • Any variation from the what is considered to be on-campus employment, may be a serious violation of the F-1 or J-1 visa status, and could result in a student losing lawful status. For any questions on whether an employment opportunity is considered to be on-campus employment, please email:

* Please note: Employment is only considered to be on-campus if the job is physically done on the UMass Lowell Campus. The Lowell Memorial Auditorium and the Call Center are NOT considered on-campus work. Any student found to have violated this will have their F-1 or J-1 status terminated.

Job WebsitesAddressContact Information
The River Hawk Shop (Follett) - bookstore and moreUniversity Crossing
220 Pawtucket Street, Lowell, MA
Phone: 978-934-2623
Aramark Food Services100 Pawtucket Street, Lowell, MAEmail: 

Please note: International students are not permitted to be employed at the UMass Lowell Innovation Hub as "on-campus employment" unless employed at the iHub Administration Office, collecting a UMass Lowell paycheck. International students would otherwise require OPT or CPT authorization to work at the iHub

How many hours per week can an international student work on campus?

  • International Students must maintain full-time status at all times and follow all status requirements of their F-1 or J-1 lawful status.
  • F-1 and J-1 students are permitted to work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week while school is in session. This is 20 hours per week in total of all combined On-Campus jobs. It is not 20 hours per job.
  • During the recognized UMass Lowell vacation periods where a student is not in an academic session, international students in F-1 or J-1 status are permitted to work on-campus on a full-time basis as long as they’re complying with all other F-1 & J-1 status requirements.
  • For questions on your status, email: or call us at 978-934-2383.
  • Please read the following document regarding How to Calculate 20 Hours of Work per Week.

ATTENTION J-1 STUDENTS: J-1 students must report on-campus employment to ISSO by completing the J-1 On-Campus Employment Reporting e-form, found on the Forms page.

Regarding Social Security & On-Campus Jobs for International Students:

  • You do not need to have a Social Security number to apply for or be offered an on-campus job.
  • You will need to have a Social Security number before starting the job. It only takes two weeks to obtain a Social Security card.
  • Our office is willing to explain this to any UMass Lowell hiring department that may be reluctant to offer you a job for lack of a Social Security card. If you encounter this problem, please ask them to contact ISSO directly via phone or by email.

Please remember that you do NOT need a Social Security number to open a bank account or to do any business in the U.S.

  • Your passport and a brief explanation of your status will suffice.
  • In order to open a bank account in the U.S. without a Social Security number, you simply need to complete a W-8 Form (pdf), which can also be obtained by any bank teller.
  • If you ever need our office to write a letter or call anyone to explain your status, we’re happy to do so.

Once you secure a job offer, you will need to apply for an SSN letter from ISSO! Click on the button below to be directed to our Social Security page.

Learn more about SSN