J-2 Work Authorization

J-2 visa holders (dependents of J-1 visa holders) are eligible to apply for work authorization from USCIS upon arrival to the US. In general, a J-2 dependent can apply for work authorization by submitting a Form I-765 and supporting documents to USCIS. Upon approval, the applicant will receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) authorizing work on a part-time or full-time basis.

Applicants must demonstrate that the principal J-1 visa holder is maintaining their J-1 status, and that the J-2 employment will be supplementary (not used to support) the J-1 visa holder. The EAD will generally be authorized in one-year increments, with the ability to extend should the J-1 visa holder’s status also be extended.

J-2 visa holders must submit the following to USCIS:

  1. G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance
  2. Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
  3. Check or money order for the I-765 filing fee, payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security
  4. Letter explaining why work authorization is sought and how the employment will be supplemental to the J-1 visa holder’s income/funding
  5. Photocopies of the J-2 and J-1’s current and prior DS-2019s
  6. Two passport photos
  7. Copy of the J-2 passport identification page
  8. Copy of the J-2 visa stamp page
  9. Copy of J-2 I-94 record
  10. Copies of any Employment Authorization Document (EAD) cards previously issued to the J-2
  11. Copy of the J-2’s driver’s license or other photo identification, if available
  12. Marriage certificate (if spouse of the J-1), or birth certificate (if child of the J-1 under the age of 21)

Please contact the International Students & Scholars Office (ISSO) with any questions at ISSO@uml.edu.