In the fall of 2022, UMass Lowell began a new strategic plan under the leadership of its new chancellor, Julie Chen. In addition to academic and research initiatives, this strategic plan will include specific objectives related to master planning, facilities renewal and sustainability. The plan is being developed with the participation of campus constituents and its progress will be reviewed against quantitative benchmarks on an annual basis. The new plan is expected to reinforce the primacy of ongoing major capital projects and facilities renewal programs.
This Strategic Development Plan details the projects that are under development, as well as the university's plan to minimize, mitigate, and reduce its environmental effects. This document also serves as an official Notice of Project Change under the Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act (MEPA) in conjunction with the Special Review Procedure that was established for the review of university projects in 2011.
The UMass Lowell Strategic Development Plan 2022-2027 was submitted to the MEPA Office in December 2022. The university received the certificate from the Secretary of Energy and Environment Affairs on the Notice of Project Change on Feb. 10, 2023.
- Certificate of the Secretary of Energy and Environmental Affairs for 2022-2027 SDP - February 10, 2023 (pdf)
- UMass Lowell Strategic Development Plan 2022-2027 (pdf)
- Cover Letter by UMass Lowell Chancellor Julie Chen (pdf)
- Notice of Project Change (NPC) (pdf)
- Nov. 16, 2022 Public Meeting Presentation (pdf)