ExpertiseStructural Engineering, Infrastructure Materials
Sustainable Infrastructure Materials, Concrete Technology, Cement Chemistry, Concrete Durability, Low-Carbon Cementitious Materials, Self-Healing Concrete.
- Postdoctoral, (2016-2018), University of Southern California, Sonny Astani Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering - Los Angeles, CA
- Postdoctoral, (2014-2016), Purdue University, Lyles School of Civil Engineering - West Lafayette, IN
- Ph D: Civil Engineering, (2011-2014), Columbia University - New York, NY
Dissertation/Thesis Title:Durability of Cement Composites Reinforced with Sisal Fiber
- MS: Civil Engineering Materials, (2011), Dalian University of Technology - Dalian, China
Dissertation/Thesis Title:Basic Study of CaCO3 Whisker-reinforced Cement Based Composites
- BS: Civil Engineering Materials (Materials Science), (2008), Shandong Jianzhu University - Jinan, China
Selected Awards and Honors
- CEE Teaching Excellence Award (2021), University of Massachusetts
- Full Member of Sigma Xi (2020), Scientific Research Honor Society
- Who's Who in Engineering Academia (2019), Academickeys
- Travel Award to Visit Funding Agencies (2019), UMass Lowell
- Most Publications Faculty Member Award (2018), UMass Lowell
- Postdoctoral Scholar Training & Travel Award (2017), USC Office of Postdoc. Affairs & Association
- 5-Star Reviewer (2017), Journal of Bioresources
- Erbilgin Family Fellowship (2011-2014), Columbia University
- Best Degree Thesis Award (2012), Liaoning Province, China
- Best Thesis Award & Fellowship (2011), Dalian University of Technology
- Top 10 Master Academic Stars (2010), Dalian University of Technology
- Top 10 Master Academic Stars (2011), Dalian University of Technology
- Kwang-Hua Fellowship (2010), Kwang-Hua Education Foundation
- Outstanding Graduate (2010), Dalian University of Technology
- Outstanding Graduate of Liaoning Province (2010)
- Outstanding Student of Dalian City (2010)
- Outstanding Master Student Award (2010), Dalian University of Technology
- Best Paper Award (2010), Fourth Tutors and Graduate Academic Forum of China
- Natural Science Scholastic Attainment Award (Third Prize) (2010), Liaoning, China
- Graduate Fellowship (2008-2011), Dalian University of Technology
- Excellent Student Award (2007), Shandong Jianzhu University
- Arkabrata Sinha, Darren Lim, Jianqiang Wei (2022). A lignin-based capsule system with tunable properties tailored for robust self-healing concrete. Cement and Concrete Composites, 132, 104643.
- Dayou Luo, Arkabrata Sinha, Madhab Adhikari, Jianqiang Wei (2022). Mitigating alkali-silica reaction through metakaolin-based internal conditioning: New insights into property evolution and mitigation mechanism. Cement and Concrete Research, 159, 106888.
- Dayou Luo, Jianqiang Wei (2022). Upgrading sodium montmorillonite into a reactive internal curing agent for sustainable cement composites through non-ionic functionalization. Composites Part B: Engineering, 242, 110076.
- Dayou Luo, Jianqiang Wei (2022). Hydration kinetics and phase evolution of Portland cement composites containing sodium-montmorillonite functionalized with a Non-Ionic surfactant. Construction and Building Materials, 333, 127386.
- Amirhossein Madadi, Jianqiang Wei (2022). Characterization of calcium silicate hydrate gels with different calcium to silica ratios and polymer modifications. Gels, 8, 75.
- Bora Gencturk, Hadi Aryan, Mohammad Hanifehzadeh, Clotilde Chambreuil, Jianqiang Wei (2021). A computational study of the shear behavior of reinforced concrete beams affected from alkali–silica reactivity damage. Materials, 14(12): 3346.
- Arkabrata Sinha, Qi Wang, Jianqiang Wei (2021). Feasibility and compatibility of a biomass capsule system in self-healing concrete. Materials, 2021, 14(4): 958.
- Arezou Attar, Bora Gencturk, Hadi Aryan, Jianqiang Wei (2020). Impact of laboratory-accelerated aging methods to study alkali–silica reaction and reinforcement corrosion on the properties of concrete. Materials, 13(15): 3273.
- Hadi Aryan, Bora Gencturk, Mohammad Hanifehzadeh, Jianqiang Wei (2020). ASR degradation and expansion of plain and reinforced concrete. Structures Congress 2020, 303-315.
- Jianqiang Wei, Bora Gencturk (2019). Hydration of ternary portland cement blends containing a combination of metakaolin and sodium bentonite. Cement and Concrete Research, 123, 105772.
- Jianqiang Wei, Bora Gencturk (2019). Amit Jain, Mohammad Hanifehzadeh, Mitigating alkali-silica reaction induced concrete degradation through cement substitution by metakaolin and bentonite. Applied Clay Science, 182, 105257.
- Jianqiang Wei, Bora Gencturk (2018). Degradation of natural fiber in portland cement composites in the presence of diatomaceous earth. ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 30(11): 1943-5533.0002486.
- Jianqiang Wei (2018). Degradation behavior and kinetics of sisal fiber in pore solutions of sustainable cementitious composites containing metakaolin, Polymer Degradation and Stability, 150: 1-12.
- Jianqiang Wei (2018). Impact of cement hydration on durability of cellulosic fiber-reinforced cementitious composites in the presence of metakaolin. Advanced Engineering Materials, 20, 1700642.
- Jianqiang Wei (2017). Christian Meyer, Degradation of natural fiber in ternary blended cement composites containing metakaolin and montmorillonite. Corrosion Science, 120: 42-60.
- Jianqiang Wei (2017). Bernard Tao, W. Jason Weiss, Water absorption in cementitious materials at different temperatures. Advances in Civil Engineering Materials, 06 (01): 1-16.
- Muhammad Tufail, Khan Shahzada, Bora Gencturk, Jianqiang Wei (2017). Effect of elevated temperature on mechanical properties of limestone, quartzite and granite concrete. International Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials, 11(1): 17-28.
- Jianqiang Wei, Christian Meyer (2016). Utilization of rice husk ash in green natural fiber-reinforced cement composites: mitigating degradation of sisal fiber. Cement and Concrete Research, 81: 94-111.
- Jianqiang Wei, Siwei Ma, D’Shown Thomas (2016). Correlation between hydration of cement and the durability of natural fiber-reinforced cement composites. Corrosion Science, 106: 1-15.
- Jianqiang Wei, Bernard Tao, W. Jason Weiss (2016). Effect of temperature on the chloride binding of Portland cement exposed to CaCl2. ACI Special Publication, 308: 1-12.
- Jianqiang Wei, Christian Meyer (2015). Degradation mechanisms of natural fiber in the matrix of cement composites. Cement and Concrete Research, 73: 1-16.
- Mingli Cao, Cong Zhang, Yong Li, Jianqiang Wei (2015). Using calcium carbonate whisker in hybrid fiber-reinforced cementitious composites. ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 27(4), 04014139.
- Jianqiang Wei, Christian Meyer (2014). Degradation rate of natural fiber in cement composites exposed to various accelerated aging environment conditions. Corrosion Science, 88: 118–132.
- Jianqiang Wei, Christian Meyer (2014). Sisal fiber-reinforced cement composites with Portland cement substitution by a combination of metakaolin and nanoclay. Journal of Materials Science, 49 (21): 7604-7619.
- Jianqiang Wei, Christian Meyer (2014). Improving degradation resistance of sisal fiber in concrete through fiber surface treatment. Applied Surface Science, 289: 511-523.
- Mingli Cao, Cong Zhang, Jianqiang Wei (2013). Microscopic reinforcement for cement-based composite materials. Construction and Building Materials, 40: 14-25.
- Arkabrata Sinha, Jianqiang Wei (2022). Exploring the Role of Magnesium Nitrate in Modifying Properties of Alkali-Silica Reaction Gels, Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- Dayou Luo, Jianqiang Wei (2022). Hydration of sustainable cementitious composite with internal conditioning by functionalized montmorillonite, Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- Jianqiang Wei [Keynote Speaker] (2021). Mitigating Alkali-Silica Reaction in Sustainable Concrete using Functionalized Clay Nanoparticles, 2021 TechConnect World Innovation - Materials for Sustainable Building, National Harbor, MD.
- Jianqiang Wei (2021). Robust Self-Healing of Cracks in Sustainable Concrete Using Natural Materials Derived Capsule Systems, 2nd International Conference On Infrastructure and Construction, Online.
- Arkabrata Sinha, Jianqiang Wei (2021). Microstructure and Properties of Alkali-silica Reaction Gels Treated with Lithium Nitrate, ACI Convention, Atlanta, GA (online).
- Dayou Luo, Jianqiang Wei (2021). Influence of nonionic surfactants on structure, reactivity and efficiency of calcined clay minerals in mitigating alkali-silica reaction, Atlanta, GA (online).
- Arkabrata Sinha, Jianqiang Wei (2021). Bio-inspired self-healing concrete based on biomass capsule systems, 2021 MassDOT Transportation Innovation Virtual Conference.
- Dayou Luo, Jianqiang Wei (2021). Dissolution behavior of amorphous silica from reactive aggregates in simulated concrete pore solutions, Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference (EMI) 2021, New York (online).
- Dayou Luo, M. Adhikari, Jianqiang Wei (2021). Hydration of cement blends containing metakaolin and lithium nitrate admixture, Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference (EMI) 2021, New York (online).
- Arkabrata Sinha, Qi Wang, Jianqiang Wei (2021). Compatibility of alkaline-degradable capsules in self-healing concrete, Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference 2021, New York (online).
- Jianqiang Wei (2019). Influence of high-volume clays on portland cement hydration and concrete aging resistance. American Concrete Institute (ACI) Fall Convention, Cincinnati, OH, USA, Oct. 20-24.
- Angie D. Hinojosa, Jianqiang Wei (2019). Influence of barium titanate nanoparticles on hydration of Portland cement and its potential for 3D printing. 2nd International Conference on 3D Construction Printing, Tianjin, China, Oct. 11-14th.
- Jianqiang Wei (2019). Suppressing alkali-silica reaction through incorporation of calcined kaolinite-montmorillonite clay blends. 15th International Congress on the Chemistry of Cement, Prague, Czech Republic, Sep. 16–20.
Selected Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- NanoEngineered Concrete Internal Conditioning for Targeted Suppression of Alkali-Silica Reaction (Award #1935799), PI, National Science Foundation (NSF), 2019 - 2023.
- Ultra-High Performance Concrete Reinforced with Multi-Scale Hybrid Fibers and Its Durability-Related Properties, PI (co-PI: Dr. Sergio Brena (UMass Amherst)), Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT), 2021 – 2023
- Detection and Monitoring of Material Aging and Structural Deterioration using Electromagnetic and Mechanical Sensors with Virtual Reality & Machine Learning Modeling, co-PI (PI: Dr. Tzuyang Yu), U.S. DOT, UTC, Transportation Infrastructure Durability Center, 2022 – 2024
- Decarbonization of Cement Manufacturing via Flow-Assisted Electrochemistry, co-PI (PI: Dr. Ertan Agar), UMass Lowell Internal Seed Awards, 2022-2024.
Research Currently in Progress
- Mitigation of alkali-silica reaction (ASR)
- Characterization of alkali-silica reaction gels
- Understanding of cement hydration kinetics
- Synthesis of tough cementitious binders
- Manufacturing carbon-negative cement
- Investigation of self-healing concrete
- Development of ultra-high performance concrete (UHPC)
- 3D printing of concrete and cement-based composites