Be skilled in the many forms and varieties of numerical analysis
QL Syllabus Statement
This course meets the Core Curriculum Quantitative Literacy Essential Learning Outcome; it provides students with the opportunity to develop the competence and fluency with numerical data that they need in order to understand and create sophisticated arguments supported by valid quantitative evidence.
Expectations for Student Learning
Courses approved for the Quantitative Literacy ELO ask students to engage in activities or complete assignments that build competence in this area. They require students to demonstrate knowledge of and/or skill in at least four of the following areas:
- Explaining information presented in mathematical forms (e.g. equations, graphs, diagrams, tables).
- Representing relevant mathematical information by converting it into various forms (e.g. equations, graphs, diagrams, tables, words).
- Solving problems using effective calculations.
- Making judgments and drawing appropriate conclusions based on quantitative analysis of data, while recognizing the limits of this data and analysis.
- Identifying and making important assumptions that underlie quantitative analysis.
- Expressing quantitative evidence in support of the argument or purpose of the work (in terms of what evidence is used and how it is formatted, presented, and contextualized).
- Solve problem sets that require the ability to:
- accurately explain data provided in charts, tables graphs,
- accurately construct equations from written material, and/or
- solve mathematical problems. [Criteria 1, 2, 3]
- Make an oral presentation utilizing graphs, diagrams, tables, etc. E.g., in an economics course, use quantitative data to discuss trends in the real-estate market in a particular city over the last ten years. [Criteria 1, 2, 4, 6]
- Characterize or interpret the relationship between quantitative figures. E.g., in a science course, explain the relationship between surface area and volume, and explain the implications for enzyme action. [Criteria 4, 6]
QL Course Listing