Synthesize knowledge and abilities in meaningful practice.
AIL Syllabus Statement
This course meets the Core Curriculum Applied and Integrative Learning Essential Learning Outcome; it helps students synthesize their learning experiences, providing them with skills and the disposition to build learning across the curriculum and co-curriculum, and to realize the benefits of experiential learning opportunities in or beyond the classroom.
Expectations for Student Learning
Courses approved for the Applied and Integrative learning ELO ask students to engage in activities or complete assignments that build competence in this area. They require students to demonstrate knowledge of and/or skill in at least three of the following areas:
- Comparing life experiences and academic knowledge, identifying similarities and differences, and acknowledging new perspectives.
- Connecting examples, facts, or theories from more than one field of study.
- Synthesizing current and past learning in an activity or experience like co-op, internship, practicum or independent research.
- Integrating communication by choosing a format, language, or form of visual representation to connect content and form, demonstrating an awareness of purpose and audience.
- Articulating growth in and awareness of changes in their own learning, including the contribution of contextual factors.
- Synthesizing current and past learning in an entrepreneurial endeavor.
Sample Activities or Assignments
- Write a paper that incorporates an aspect of your life experiences in a reflective manner, using your experiences to examine or measure course theories or topics. [Criterion 1]
- Write a paper for a course in another discipline that integrates information from a history, economics, or political science course. [Criterion 2]
- Address a complex problem, examining ethical dilemmas or social awareness in your field. [Criteria 2, 3]
- Give an oral presentation in a history class that is accompanied by a visual presentation (PowerPoint, video, graphs, etc.) [Criterion 4]
- Create a paper, visual product, or performance that also includes a reflective component addressing your ability to increase future effectiveness. [Criterion 5]
AIL Course Listing