Peter Pan Surf & SUP Academy, Naragansett, R.I.
Peter Pan Surf & SUP Academy Instructors are certified by the National Surf School and Instructors Association. "Narragansett Beach can be surfed year-round. E swell gets in the best, combining with W winds and lower tides to give some good beachbreaks. Further north along the beach there are rights off a sunken barge, lefts off old pier pilings, peaks in front of The Dunes private beach club, and a river mouth left at the end," (MagicSeaweed).
Cinnamon Rainbows Surf Company, Hampton, N.H.
"Discover the stoke and fun of surfing when you learn with Cinnamon Rainbows Surf Company. You will work with one of our experienced surf instructors to learn the safety, etiquette and fundamental surfing skills during your 1 hour session. Our expert instructors will ensure you have fun while helping you to progress your surfing skills to the next level. We have a wide variety of instructors to meet everyone’s needs."
Exertion and Skill Level
These trips are open to everyone - no matter your experience or skill level. Confidence swimming in moving water is recommended. The surf lessons are at your own pace. However, this is a full-body activity requiring cardio, balance, and strength.
- 8 a.m. Meet at the Outdoor Adventure Center & Bike Shop
- 5 Lawrence Drive, Lowell, MA
- 10 a.m. Arrive at the Outfitter or Beach
- Get fitted and gear up
- 10:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Lessons & Surf
- Midday Lunch: bring your own lunch and snacks
- 4 p.m. Return Equipment & Change Clothes
- 4:30-6:30 p.m. Drive Back to UMass Lowell
- Option to stop for food on the way- bring your own form of payment
- 7 p.m. Estimated Dismissal
- Board Anatomy
- Surf Position
- Paddle Position
- Catching Waves
- Setting Up
- Ocean Safety
- Reading the Water
The items on this list are strongly recommended for your trip. The weather forecast and your thermal perception should be considered when packing.
- Online medical questionnaire and waiver
- Personal Medications
- Medical Insurance Card
- Swim Suit to wear underneath wetsuit in cold water
- Chap Stick/Lip Balm
- Sunglasses Keeper strap protects sunglasses; floating strap recommended
- Baseball Cap/Full-Brim Hat
- *Wool or Fleece Hat to wear while waiting on the beach between surfing sessions
- Jacket to wear while waiting on the beach
- Day pack
- Lunch/Snacks Cold lunch
- *2 Water Bottles
- Dry clothes full set to change into for the drive home
- **First Aid First Aid Kit, Emergency Communication Device, and 1 or more Wilderness First Aid or First Responder Certified Staff Member(s) qualified to facilitate activity
- **Activity Specific Gear PFD’s/lifejackets, wetsuit, splash jacket, booties, paddles, surfboard or SUP, emergency equipment, etc.
*Items with an asterisk may be provided by Outdoor Adventure upon request. Checking out these items is included in the registration cost for the outing.
**All items under "Activity Specific Gear" and "First Aid" are supplied automatically by the Outdoor Adventure Program or a third-party outfitter. All participant equipment is subject to trip leader approval. Please, contact us to review any personal gear you would like to bring in substitution of the gear we may provide.