The Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Law requires out-of-state students bringing vehicles into the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to file a "Nonresident Driver Statement" with the local police department in the city in which their university is located.
Pursuant to M.G.L. ch.90 s.3, every nonresident enrolled as a student who operates a motor vehicle in Massachusetts that is registered in another state during any period beginning Sept. 1 of any year and ending on Aug. 31 of the following year must file a RMV "Nonresident Driver Statement" with the local police department. Failure to file such statement is punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell, in turn, is required by the Commonwealth to keep a record and provide proof to the state that students have been apprised of the law.
Who does this apply to?
- Any student that lives in on-campus housing that operates a vehicle in Massachusetts and does not have a Massachusetts license plate.
- Any student that is temporarily or permanently residing in Massachusetts that operates a vehicle in Massachusetts and does not have a Massachusetts license plate.
Who does this NOT apply to?
- Faculty, staff, vendors, visitors or volunteers.
- Any student that operates a vehicle with a Massachusetts license plate.
- Any student that commutes to campus and does not reside in Massachusetts (i.e. only comes to campus for classes but lives out of state temporarily or permanently).
Students bringing vehicles into the Commonwealth of Massachusetts whose vehicles do not have a Massachusetts license plate are required to download and complete the Nonresident Student Vehicle Information Form. This form must be completed for every vehicle.
Once completed, mail the form to:UCard, Access and Parking Services
University Crossing Suite 190
220 Pawtucket Street
Lowell, MA 01854
- The UCAPS Office will mail a copy of the student's form to the Lowell Police Department. The UCAPS Office will then mail a state-approved decal to the student's local address. This decal must be prominently displayed in the uppermost center portion of the windshield of the student's vehicle.
- There is no additional cost for this decal.
- The decal will be valid until the expected graduation date of the student.
- If the expected graduation date of the student changes the student must reregister with the UCAPS Office when their decal expires
- This decal is not a substitute for an official UMass Lowell parking decal.