Permits for Persons with Disabilities

Persons with disabilities should apply for Disabled Parking Placard / License Plate with your state's Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV): Massachusetts RMV. You must also register with UCard, Access and Parking Services (UCAPS) so that we can modify your UCard to grant you access to all parking lots. You will not need a UMass Lowell hang-tag as disabled license plates override the need for one, but you must provide proof to our office with a photocopy, fax or e-mail of your permit.

Please note that disabled placard or license plate permits you to park in any disabled parking space on campus, but does not permit you to park in non-disabled spaces per your parking decal. This is persuant to Massachusetts General Law, and more information about this is described in section 7 on the following RMV Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

Temporary Disabilities for Students

Request for 30-Day ADA Accommodation by UMass Lowell

Those students with temporary disabilities should go to the UCAPS office with documentation from your doctor so that we can issue you a temporary Disabled Permit. The temporary permit is for 30 days beginning (day requested). After that, the parking accommodation with UMass Lowell will end.

If you are unable to come in to the UCAPS office you can fax your doctor's note and vehicle registration to 978-934-4004 and follow up with a call to 978-934-2800. We will mail the hang-tag to you.

Request for HP Placard from the Registry of Motor Vehicles

The temporary permit is available only for 30 days. At that point, UMass Lowell's accommodation will end. Therefore, please contact the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) right away to begin the process of requesting an HP plate. This process can take some time, up to 30 days. That is why we ask you to begin the process immediately.

Temporary Disabilities for Faculty/Staff

All accommodations for temporary disabilities involving faculty and staff must go through the Equal Opportunity and Outreach (EOO) Office.
Faculty and staff should contact Donna Vieweg at 978-934-3566 or Rebecca Currie at 978-934-3563.

Disabled Parking Locations

For a list of all disabled spaces across campus, visit our Parking Locations for Persons with Disabilities page.