Applied Macro and Micro Models, Energy & Environmental Economics, Economics of Occupational Health
Applied Macro and Micro Models; Energy & Environmental Economics; Economics of Occupational Health.
- BA: Economics, University of Calcutta, Presidency College - Calcutta, India
- Supporting Area: Mathematics
- MA: Economics, University of Delhi, Delhi School of Economics - Delhi, India
- Ph D: Economics, University of Delhi, Delhi School of Economics - Delhi, India
Supriya Lahiri is a professor in the Department of Economics at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. She has a Ph.D. in Economics from the Delhi School of Economics in India and came to this country as a Fellow at the Center of Population Studies at Harvard University. Prior to joining the University of Massachusetts, she was a member of the sponsored research staff at MIT.
Her principle expertise is in the area of applied micro and macro modeling focusing on energy, environmental, and occupational safety and health issues. She has published numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals and contributed to chapters in edited volumes. She has worked as a consultant with many eminent organizations including the Brookhaven National Laboratory, Meta Systems, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, World Health Organization, and CPWR.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Economics Department Teaching Award (2010), Teaching - Department of Economics, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Lahiri, S. (2016). Cost-benefit analysis of overhead lift use peer coaching. Occupational And Environmental Medicine, 73(7) 427 - 428.
- Lahiri, S., Tempesti, T., Gangopadhyay, S. (2016). Is There an Economic Case for Training Intervention in the Manual Material Handling Sector of Developing Countries? Journal of occupational and environmental medicine / American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 58(2) 211-214.
- Lahiri, S., Latif, S., O’Brien, A. (2013). The Total Economic Value of a Small Urban Wetland: Evidence from a New England City. Interdisciplinary Journal of Economics and Business Law, 2(4) 63-80.
- Lahiri, S., Latif, S., Punnett, L. (2013). An economic analysis of a safe resident handling program in nursing homes. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 56(4) 469-478.
- Lahiri, S., Faghri, P.D. (2012). Cost-effectiveness of a workplace-based incentivized weight loss program. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 54(3) 371-377.
- Lahiri, S., Low, C., Barry, M. (2011). A Business Case Evaluation of Workplace Engineering Noise Control: A Net-Cost Model. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 53(3).
- Cherniack, M., Lahiri, S. (2010). Barriers to implementation of workplace health interventions: An economic perspective. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 52(9) 934-942.
- Lahiri, S., Moure-Eraso, R., Flum, M., Tilly, C., Massawe, E. (2006). A review of employment conditions as social determinants of health part II: the workplace. New solutions : a journal of environmental and occupational health policy : NS, 16(4) 429-448.
- Lahiri, S., Moure-Eraso, R., Flum, C.I., Tilly, C., Karasek, R., Massawe, E. (2006). Analytic and Strategic Review Paper on Employment Conditions as Social Determinants of Health.
- Moure-Eraso, R., Flum, M., Lahiri, S., Tilly, C., Massawe, E., Karasek, R. (2006). Employment Conditions as Social Determinants of Health Part I: The External Domain. New Solutions: A Journal of Environmental and Occupational Health Policy, 16(3) 267-288.
- Lahiri, S., Gold, J., Levenstein, C. (2005). Estimation of net-costs for prevention of occupational low back pain: Three case studies from the US. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 48(6) 530-541.
- Lahiri, S., Gold, J., Levenstein, C. (2005). Net-cost model for workplace interventions. Journal of Safety Research, 36(3) 241-255.
- Lahiri, S., Levenstein, C., Nelson, D.I., Rosenberg, B.J. (2005). The cost effectiveness of occupational health interventions: Prevention of Silicosis. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 48(6) 503-514.
- Lahiri, S., Markkanen, P., Levenstein, C. (2005). The cost effectiveness of occupational health interventions: preventing occupational back pain. American journal of Industrial Medicine, 48(6) 515-529.
- Lahiri, S., Babiker, M., Eckaus, R.S. (2003). The burden of emissions restrictions. New solutions : A Journal of Environmental and Occupational health policy : NS, 13(3) 283-293.
- Lahiri, S., Babiker, M.H., Eckaus, R.S. (2000). The effects of changing consumption patterns on the costs of emission restrictions.
- Eckaus, R.S., Blitzer, C.R., Lahiri, S., Meeraus, A. (1995). Comparative Economic Effects of Green House Gas Emission Restrictions in Egypt and India (pp. 191-229). Interline Publishing
- Eckaus, R.S., Blitzer, C.R., Lahiri, S., Meeraus, A. (1994). A General Equilibrium Analysis of the Effects of Carbon Emission Restrictions on Economic Growth in a Developing Country. University of Michigan Press
- Eckaus, R.S., Blitzer, C.R., Lahiri, S. (1992). A General Equilibrium Analyss of Policies to Reduce Carbon Emissions Through Increases in Efficiency. Indian Economic Review, 26 199-214.
- Blitzer, C.R., Eckaus, R., Lahiri, S., Meeraus, A. (1992). Growth and Welfare Losses from Carbon Emissions Restrictions.
- Lahiri, S., Blitzer, C.R., Eckaus, R.S., Meeraus, A. (1992). How restricting carbon dioxide and methane emissions would affect the Indian economy.
- Lahiri, S., Blitzer, C.R., Eckaus, R.S., Meeraus, A. (1992). The potential for reducing carbon emissions from increased efficiency: a general equilibrium methodology. Indian Economic Review, 27 199-214.
- Lahiri, S. (1990). A Redefinition of Luxuries, Necessities, and Engel Goods - an Analysis of Egyptian Household Budget Data. Journal of Developing Areas, 25(1).
- Blitzer, C.R., Eckaus, R.S., Lahiri, S., Meeraus, A. (1990). An Economy-wide Energy Policy Model for Egypt. Economic Systems Research, 2(2) 185--204.
- Lahiri, S., Koundiniya, R. (1989). A Generalized Approach to Project Evaluation: An Analytical Framework. Journal of Management in Practice, 1(2).
- Lahiri, S. (1988). On certain aspects of energy pricing issues and policies in Egypt. The Journal of Energy and Development, 223--238.
- Sinha, B., Bhatia, R., Lahiri, S. (1985). Planning for the Subernarekha river system in eastern India. Sadhana, 8(3) 291--309.
- Choucri, N., Lahiri, S. (1984). Short-run energy-economy interactions in Egypt. World Development, 12(8) 799--820.
- Lahiri, S. (1977). Investment planning for the electric power industry in Northern India: A spatial programming approach. Indian Economic Review, 12(1) 43--72.
Selected Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Promoting Physical and Mental Health of Caregivers through Trans-disciplinary Intervention (ProCare) II (2011), Grant - Center for Excellence to Promote a Healthier Workforce (CPH-NEW)
Lahiri, S. (Co-Investigator), Punnett, L. (Principal)
- Economic Evaluation of Interventions to Prevent Manual Material Handling Injuries in the Informal Labor Sector (2009), Grant - US Department of HHS (CDC) and India’s Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
Lahiri, S. (Principal), Gangopadhyay, S. (Principal)
- Goal: To examine the effect of a motivationally enhanced behavioral education program with and without economic incentives on weight loss on overweight individuals at high risk for type 2 diabetes, Conducted Cost Effectiveness of A Incentivized Weight Loss Program and applied The Net-Cost Model (2010), Grant - Center for Disease Control
Lahiri, S. (Co-Investigator), Fhaghri, P. (Principal)
- Grant Number 1 U19 OH008857 (2006), Grant - National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
Lahiri, S. (Co-Investigator), Punnett, L. (Principal)
- Cost Effectiveness Study on Occupational and Environmental Health (2003), Grant - WHO Task Force 14
Lahiri, S. (Principal)