Skip to Main Content

Weather AlertParking ban begins 10 p.m. 1/19/19. Lowell and Haverhill campuses closed, move-in and activities canceled 1/20/19. Visit for more info.

J1 Academic Training

J-1 Academic Training Work AuthorizATION

  • J-1 Academic Training application (pdf)
  • All J-1 on-campus employment changes must be reported to the International Students and Scholars Office to be listed on the J-1 Student’s SEVIS Record.
  • J-1 students may only work on-campus up to 20 hrs/week during academic semesters and full-time during school vacation periods
  • J-1 Students must have a job offer letter to work off-campus. The job must be in the student's field of study.
  • Total time of Academic Training can never exceed the time spent in full course of study
  • The maximum a J-1 Bachelor’s or Master’s student can do of Academic Training is 18 months
  • The J-1 student must obtain a new Form DS-2019 from the International Students and Scholars Office prior to participating in ANY off-campus work.
  • The J-1 Student can apply for pre-completion academic training, after having been in full-time status for one academic year
  • Academic training application for post-completion work, must be processed by the International Students and Scholars Office no later than 30 days after the student’s completion date.
  • Undergraduate and graduate students (not doctoral students) can engage in up to 18 months of academic training, or no more than the length of time of the course of study, whichever is less.
  • A J-1 PhD student can apply for an initial 18-month period of post-completion academic training through the International Students and Scholars Office by presenting a job offer letter. The student can then later apply for an additional period of 18 months.
  • All academic training is counted as full time, even if employment is on a part-time basis.
  • Completion date is determined as the date that all degree requirements are met by the student (which is not necessarily the same as the Commencement Date, degree conferral date, or the date that the degree clearance form is submitted). Please contact the International Students and Scholars Office within three months of completing your program to be sure you understand the process. We don’t want you to jeopardize losing your eligibility for post completion work authorization.
  • J-1 students must continue to comply with the J-1 health insurance requirements throughout their Academic Training period. J-1 visa holders are required, as a condition of their J-1 status in the United States, to carry health insurance for themselves and accompanying family members (J-2 visa holders). By government regulation the J-1 & J-2 visa holders must carry minimum coverage in the amount of:
    • $100,000  per accident or illness;
    • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
    • At least $50,000 for Medical Evacuation to the home country
    • At least $25,000 for repatriation of remains
  • If the J-1 Student is subject to the Two-Year foreign residence requirement, student is expected to return home for a two-year period either at the completion of their academic program or at the end of their post-completion academic training period.
  • Students subject to the Two-Year Foreign Residence Requirement will not qualify to apply for H-1B status.
  • More Information on the Two-Year Foreign Residence Requirement can be found online.

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view any pdf files. It can be download for free from the Adobe website.