Frequently Asked Questions

How do I Add/drop/swap class?

If you are already enrolled in a degree program or have previously taken courses at UMass Lowell, then you can log in to SiS to register for next semester. If a class is full, you may add yourself to the waitlist. We recommend that you enroll in another course in case you cannot enroll in your first choice. Some courses require a permission number, which can be obtained by contacting the faculty member teaching the course, or by contact the Graduate Coordinators if you are in the M.B.A program.
Step by Step Enrollment Instructions

To add/swap/drop classes please log-in to SiS.
Log In To SiS

Note: Some courses require a permission number, which can be obtained by contacting the faculty member teaching the course.

Can I audit a class?

A student may audit a course with the appropriate approval. The approval form is located on the Solution Center website under the forms tab. No credit or grade will be recorded for an audited course, but the symbol AU will be listed on the permanent record.
Note: A change from audit to credit status, or from credit status to audit, may not be made after the deadline for adding a course (10th class day).

  • Audited courses are not eligible for financial aid.
  • Students are still financially responsible for the course.
  • Students must submit the Course Status Form before the add/drop deadline.

Link to More Audit Information

Can I take an online class?

Yes, anyone can register for an online class. However, if you are a day school student, there is an additional fee added to your tuition.

If you are an international student, you can only take 1 online course (maximum 3 credits) per semester (of total 9 credits) to maintain full-time status. Please see here for more information

Can I take just one class? What happens to my financial aid?

Yes, you may take only one class. Your enrollment would be considered less than half time (1-5 Credits). To qualify for financial aid a student must be in an approved certificate or degree program and be enrolled for a minimum of six credits. Taking one course may affect your financial aid eligibility for that semester.

Where do I get a permission number?

You need to contact the course instructor, if you need a permission number to register for the course.

For courses in the M.B.A program, you need to contact the M.B.A Graduate Coordinator, if you need a permission number to register for M.B.A courses.

What should I do if I have trouble registering?

Holds or service indicators can be placed on your account for a variety of reasons. Anything from an outstanding financial obligation to a missing immunization record may trigger a hold. When there is a hold on your account, you may be unable to do certain tasks, such as enroll in classes or obtain official transcripts. These restrictions vary by the type of hold placed. Your list of holds can be found in the right column of your Student Center in SiS.

Financial Hold
If you have a financial hold that prevents you from registering for classes, please contact The Solution Center via email at: or call 978.934.2000. They will assist you with information regarding your current balance and minimum payment required to have the hold removed.

Immunization Hold
If you have an immunization hold, please complete the required health forms found on the Health Services website: or contact or call 978.934.6800

Max Credit Limit Hold
If you have a max credit limit hold that prevents you from registering for classes, please contact or call 978-934-2173 to discuss steps to have the hold removed.

How can I be readmitted to UMass Lowell?

If you have been away from the university for a year or more, you should contact Graduate Admissions at, or call 800-656-4723 (U.S Students) or 978-934-2390 (International Students).

If you have been away from the university for four years or longer, you may be readmitted under the program Graduate Fresh Start.

Students who wish to be considered for the Graduate Fresh Start Program must follow the normal procedures for admission to the University and file a Graduate Fresh Start Contract (pdf).

Link to more Graduate Fresh Start information

How do I change from a doctoral degree to a master’s degree within my program?

If you are currently in a doctoral program, but elect to obtain the master’s degree in the same department, you must file an Academic Petition requesting to be changed from the doctorate to the master’s degree program; you must complete all required courses for the master’s degree with a minimum 3.0 grade point average and/or successfully defend your thesis (if required); and you must file the Declaration of Intent to Graduate.

Link to steps for opting out with a Master's Degree.

How do I get an incomplete in a course?

To request an incomplete in any course, you must speak to the faculty member who teaches the class. A request for an incomplete must be made within 48 hours of the missed assignment, test, quiz or final. If granted, you and the faculty member will work together to create a plan for you to complete the work of the course to receive your official letter grade. Be sure to check the academic calendar for the incomplete work deadline. If not completed with the instructor by this date, the grade will automatically change to F.

Link to more information regarding Incomplete Courses

How do I take a semester off from the university?

If you need to take a semester off for personal or financial reasons, you must register for Continued Matriculation (CONT.6010 for Master degree or CONT.7010 for Doctoral degree) in order to maintain your place within the program.

Since students are not allowed to register if they have outstanding financial obligations to the university, it will be necessary for them to clear their financial record in order to register for Continued Matriculation.

Link to Continuous Registration information.

How do I withdraw from a course after Add/drop?

You may withdraw from a course after the add/drop period and receive a grade of “W” through the last date of withdrawal for the term. Please refer to the academic calendar for current term dates.

A low or failing grade is not a reason to withdraw after the add/drop period. Withdrawing after add/drop is typically reserved for extended illness or personal emergency. Both situations require documentation and will result in a grade of "X." This is considered as Administrative Course Withdrawal.

Administrative Course Withdrawal
Course withdrawal, with an assigned course notation of X, after the deadline-to-withdraw specified on the academic calendar for reason of a documented extended illness or critical personal emergency may be allowed and ordinarily requires withdrawal from the University, but partial withdrawal may be authorized if circumstances are warranted.
  1. In order to apply for medical withdrawal the Request for Medical Withdrawal form with accompanying documentation from a licensed health services professional, must be submitted to the Office of Health Services. Health information is covered by HIPAA laws and medical information received by Health Services is strictly private and confidential. In consultation with the Office of the Registrar, the Office of Health Services submits recommendations to the Provost’s Office for final review and approval.
  2. Administrative withdrawal for non-medical reasons is initiated through an academic petition to the Office of the Provost with appropriate, verifiable documentation that corroborates the reason for withdrawal advanced on the petition.
  3. Neither complete nor partial withdrawal will be authorized because a student anticipates a low or failing grade in the course (or courses) or because of the presumed effect of a low or failing grade on the student’s cumulative grade-point average.
  4. Faculty are notified when the grade of ‘X’ is retroactively applied to a course for which a grade was entered. Typically administrative withdrawal is applied to a whole semester rather than to isolated courses. Medical withdrawals occurring after the approved withdrawal period are not associated with financial reimbursement of tuition or fees.

Withdrawal from a course or courses may have implications for degree progress, financial aid, health insurance, international student visa status and more.

To withdraw from the university, please view the withdrawal instructions.

What should I do when I am ready to graduate?

You will need to file the Declaration of Intent to Graduate (DIG) form in the last semester before you graduate. Graduation exercises are held once a year at the end of the spring semester. Students who have completed degree requirements during spring semester or the previous summer term or fall semester are permitted to attend commencement exercises, and their names are listed in the commencement booklet. Attending commencement exercises is not compulsory.

Link to Commencement Information

When can I start using my student email account?

After you are accepted in your academic program at UMass Lowell, your information is entered into the university's student information system (SiS), and a UMass Lowell student email account will be generated for you (please allow 1-2 business days for processing). This is the email address where all official university communication will be sent. If you provided a personal email address when you registered, your UMass Lowell Student ID number will be emailed to you at that address. Otherwise, a printed letter with your Student ID will be mailed to your home address.

Start Using Your Email
Your UMass Lowell student email account is formatted like this:

Your default student email password is Riverhawk12345678, where the last eight digits are your UMass Lowell Student ID. If you have not yet received your UMass Lowell Student ID through your personal email account or by traditional mail, you can look up your UMass Lowell Student ID.

To start using your UMass Lowell student email account, you will need to visit the My Password website and change your default email password by selecting “Change my Password.” When entering your default student email password, don't forget to use an Uppercase "U" and lowercase "ms" before your eight digit Student ID number. Once you have done this, access your UMass Lowell student email by entering your full UMass Lowell Student Email Account (including the as your username and your student email password where it asks for a password.

If you encounter problems or need additional assistance, contact the UMass Lowell Help Desk at 978-934-4357.
View Your SiS Student Record
Once you have your UMass Lowell Student Email Address and your Student Email Account Password, you will use these credentials to log into your SiS Student Records, enter your full Student Email Address (including the as the “Campus User ID,” and your Student Email Account Password as the “Password.” Then select “Lowell” from the Campus drop down menu, and click on the “Login” button to proceed.
Using the SiS Student Self-Service Login, you will be able to register for future classes, search the course catalog, add, drop and swap courses, obtain class schedules, view and print grades, obtain unofficial transcripts, and more. Make sure to save your Student Email Address, Password and Student ID somewhere safe, as you will need them for future reference.

If you encounter problems or need additional assistance, contact the UMass Lowell Help Desk at 978-934-4357.

What if I need more time to complete my degree?

Master's degree requirements must be completed within a five-year period from the semester of admission. For those master's programs requiring 45 or more credits, the time limit is six years.

The doctoral degree must be completed within an eight-year period beginning with the semester of admission as fully matriculated or matriculated with conditions.

If you need more time to complete your degree, you may obtain an extension of one year by filing an Academic Petition signed by the Graduate Coordinator, department chair, and college dean. The petition is then submitted to the Registrars office.

Link to more information regarding Time Limits for Degree Completion

What is the academic standing warning notice?

An academic standing warning notice is automatically sent to any graduate student whose semester grade point average (GPA) falls below 3.0. This notice also be sent to the graduate coordinator, and filed with the student’s record in the Registrar office.
When you receive an academic standing warning notice, you need to meet with the graduate coordinator or your advisor within 30 days of receipt of the warning notice and develop an academic plan to bring your GPA to level above 3.0.

Link to Academic Standing information

What is grade exclusion?

Grade exclusion allows you to have a grade removed from calculation into your GPA. Although, since you received credit for the course, the original grade will remain on your transcript. Only one grade exclusion in total, including a grade for a repeated course, will be permitted for each degree sought by the student as recommended by the departmental graduate committee. You need to file an Academic Petition for grade exclusion request.

Link to more information regarding Grade Exclusion

What is the policy for transferring credits to your program?

A maximum total of 12 graduate credits earned with a grade of B or better taken at another accredited institution may be transferred to a master's degree program (see individual programs for further restrictions, if any). A maximum of 24 credits with a grade of B or better may be transferred to a doctoral program.

Grades of C or better for courses taken at UMass Lowell when the student held non-degree status may also be transferred (by Academic Petition) into a degree program. However, the 6 and 9 credits with grades below a B (graduation limit) for master's and doctoral degrees, respectively.

Link to more information regarding Transfer Credits

Who do I contact about my academic status?

If you have questions about your academic status, you can start with the Graduate Coordinator of your program. You can also reach out to the associate dean of your college.

Who is my academic advisor?

You can find your academic advisor by logging into the SiS. You will see names with titles of faculty advisor. If the advisor name is not specified on your SIS account, the Graduate Coordinator of your academic program is your advisor.