Secure your Email with These updates and Tips
Changes to your inbox are coming...
- Did you receive a pop-up about a link you are trying to open?
- Are you missing mail?
- Did you lose mail in your inbox?
- Trying to send sensitive data securely through e-mail?
In our mission to create the safest email service possible, we have increased the amount of filtering provided in your email inbox. In an effort we call "Email Hygiene" we have provided more secure incoming email and encrypted outgoing email as well as some other security features. These heightened security features will also scan attachments and warn against potential threats like phishing and viruses. If you have any questions please contact TechServices at 978-934-4357 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I move email out of my junk folder?
In the event that the updated filtering features have moved an email to your junk folder that you wish to have delivered to your inbox, or vice versa, please use the following steps.
To learn directions from a short video please view: Junk Mail Sorting Screen Recording. (Try adding your Junk mail folder to your favorites for ease of access and regular checking!)
- In Outlook, select the email that you want to remove from your Junk folder.
- In the top Ribbon, you should have a Junk drop down selection.
- Choose Not Junk
- An email will automatically be sent to improve the the spam filters going forward.
- In Outlook, select the email that you want to move out of your Junk folder
- Right click on the email, and in the drop down menu, hover over “Report Junk”
- In the next menu, you will have the option to select Not Junk, Block, or Phishing
- This will move that email into your inbox folder
- Click on the email that you would like to move from Junk to Inbox
- On the right hand side, click the down button with 3 dots.
- One of the options should be Not Junk.
- The email will automatically be sent to Microsoft to improve the the spam filters going forward
- How do I secure an email with sensitive data?
You can send secure or encrypted email messages at UMass Lowell using Outlook with the following steps:
- While typing an email message, select the Options tab at the top of the window.
- Select Encrypt or Permissions from the ribbon (or Permissions in older versions of Outlook), and select Encrypt-Only
If you are not using Outlook, you can encrypt an outgoing message by typing [secure] anywhere in the subject line.