Where can I study?

You can study in almost any country in the world. There are hundreds of opportunities available to students by semester (fall, spring), year, or short-term (summer, winter). You may apply for a UMass Lowell affiliated program or a program with which the university does not have an official affiliation. You should seek advice on the quality of non-affiliated programs before applying.

Will the courses I take abroad transfer back to UMass Lowell?

Yes, pending pre-authorization. There is a process to pre-approve the courses that you plan to take for transfer of credits back to UMass Lowell. You must file paperwork with the study abroad advisor to get your coursework approved prior to your departure.   Your grade must be a grade of C- or better in order to receive credit for the course.* You may not take courses as Pass/Fail for credit. In the event you need to change a course once you have arrived at the host institution, you should contact the study abroad advisor to help you with the petition process before the start of your semester.  Otherwise, the coursework would have to be evaluated upon your return.

*This guideline may differ for students in the Manning School of Business and the College of Health Sciences.

Can I get financial aid for a study abroad program?

If you are eligible for financial aid while attending UMass Lowell, you may also be able to receive financial aid from UMass Lowell in order to study abroad. You are considered to still be a student of the university, while you are a full-time student abroad and are therefore eligible to apply for and receive financial aid.  If you would like to meet with someone in the Financial Aid Office to discuss your individual needs and financial aid package contact The Solution Center.

Who can go on study abroad or exchange?

Any UMass Lowell student can study abroad with proper approvals. The GPA requirements vary widely for each study abroad program. Most study abroad programs have a minimum requirement of a 2.5 to a 3.0 cumulative GPA. In addition, most programs require you to be in good academic and disciplinary standing.  Do as well as possible in your courses at UMass Lowell so you will be eligible for the study abroad program of your choice.

Is studying abroad more expensive than my normal college costs?

Not necessarily. It all depends on the program you choose. There are programs available in a large range of costs.

Do I have to speak a foreign language to study abroad?

Sometimes you do. In most cases, knowledge of a foreign language is not required. There are English-speaking countries and programs all over the world. You can do all of your coursework in English, or if you have competency in another language, you may take some or all of your classes in that language!

How many classes can I take while I am on study abroad?

During fall and spring semester programs, students must maintain full-time status at an accredited academic institution while on the study away program. Students typically take four to five classes per semester, just like they do at UMass Lowell. Students who participate in short-term programs in the winter or summer take one to two courses.