New Graduate Student Orientation
Graduate Student Orientation provides valuable information about university resources, programs and events on campus, as well as graduate academic policy. Orientation is scheduled prior to the beginning of each semester.
- New Graduate Student Orientation – Virtual
- New Graduate Student Orientation - In Person
- Mandatory Teaching Assistant Orientation and Training (Fall only)
- Mandatory Research Assistant Orientation and Training (Fall only)
Shortly after the start of the semester, we will post recordings on this page and make the PowerPoint slides from the orientation sessions available to attendees.
New online students should also go to the: Getting Started With Your Online Course(s) webpage for additional information regarding their online classes.
Note: You will not be able to log into your online courses until the first day of the semester.
Virtual New Graduate Student Orientation
- Date: Wednesday, August 16, 2023 from 5-7 p.m.
- Location: Virtual
- Register for Virtual New Graduate Student Orientation
While the general new graduate student orientation is not mandatory, all newly admitted students will learn about University polices and resources which will be helpful throughout your academic career.
On-Campus New Graduate Student Orientation
The Graduate Student Services Office is excited to welcome you to UMass Lowell! This in-person Orientation will include sessions for academic and on-campus resources, as well as panel discussions. We look forward to preparing and guiding you through what your on-campus experience will look like both inside and outside the classroom!
- Date: Thursday, August 24, 2023 from 3-6 p.m.
- Location: Moloney Hall (Inside of University Crossing, up the stairs/elevator, on the first level)
- Register for on-campus New Graduate Student Orientation
- Parking: Riverside Lot A/B
While the general new graduate student orientation is not mandatory, all newly admitted students will learn about University polices and resources, which will be helpful throughout your academic career.
Mandatory Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant Orientation & Training
This Orientation is a two-day training offered once a year in August. All new Teaching Assistants are required to attend both days. Research Assistants are welcome to attend Monday, but must attend Tuesday.
- Monday, August 28th, 2023 from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. and Tuesday, August 29, 2023 from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Location: Alumni Hall (Lydon Library)
- Register for Day One of Teaching Assistant / Research Assistant Training
- Register for Day Two of Teaching Assistant / Research Assistant Training
- Parking: Riverside Lot A/B
While Teaching Assistant (TA) and Research Assistant (RA) duties vary across colleges & departments, they all demand considerable skill and knowledge. These duties can include grading, consulting with students during office hours, leading discussion or tutoring sessions, teaching/managing a lab, or giving lectures.