ExpertiseEarly American History, Public History
Legal and Political History, the Eighteenth-century Anglo-American Atlantic world, and Material Culture.
My current book project examines rebellions in 1760s British North America from both local and imperial perspectives.
- Ph D: History, (2008), University of Maine at Orono - Orono, ME
Dissertation/Thesis Title: At the Magistrate's Discretion: Sexual Crime and New England Law, 1636-1718
- MA: American History, (2002), University of Massachusetts Amherst - Amherst, MA
Supporting Area: Public History
- BA: History, (1996), Colby College - Waterville, ME
Selected Awards and Honors
- Teaching Excellence Award, History Department (2011), Teaching - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Outstanding Graduate Ph.D. Student (2009) - College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Chandler, A.B. (2017). ‘I Made Fresh Pursuit after Him’: Law, Order and Sexual Misconduct on the Maine Frontier. Maine History, 51(1) 83-108.
- Chandler, A.B. (2016). 'Unawed by the Laws of their Country’: Finding Legal and Political Legitimacy in North Carolina’s Regulator Rebellion. North Carolina Historical Review, 93(2) 1-28.
- Chandler, A.B. (2016). Dressing for History: Teaching in Eighteenth-Century Clothing. Commonplace: The Journal of Early American Life, 16(3).
- Chandler, A.B. (2015). From Birthing Chamber to Court Room: The Medical and Legal Community of the Colonial Essex County Midwife. Early Modern Women, 9(2) 109-38.
- Chandler, A.B. (2015). Law and Sexual Misconduct in New England, 1650-1750: Steering Toward England. Ashgate
- Chandler, A.B. (2014). Teaching with a Tea Set: Using Objects in the US History Survey. Perspectives on History, 52(4) 31-32.
- Chandler, A.B. (2012). Captives, Slaves and Writers: Teaching Olaudah Equiano as Captivity Narrative. University of Tennessee Press
- Chandler, A. (2011). And the Author of Wickedness Surely is most to be Blamed: The Declaration of Debora Proctor. Legacy, 28(2) 312-329.
- Chandler, A.B. (2011). Branching into the Classroom: Living History Away from the Museum (XXXIII:). Proceedings of the 2010 Conference and Annual Meeting for the Association for Living History, Farms and Agricultural Museum
- Chandler, A. (2010). Incontinent Practices: Women, Language, and Sexual Crime in Colonial Maine. Early Modern Women, 217–221.
- Chandler, A. (2008). At the Magistrate’s Discretion: Sexual Crime and New England Law, 1636-1718. Wellesley College
- ‘Let us Unanimously Lay aside Foreign Superfluities’: Textiles, Anglo Identity and Politics in the Pre-Revolutionary British Empire - World History Assocation Conference, June 2017 - Boston, Massachusetts
- History and the Bill of Rights - Living Bill of Rights Celebration, January 2017 - Nahant, Massachusetts
- The Life and Times of Martin Howard - Newport Historical Society Lecture Series, January 2017 - Newport, Rhode Island
- Puritans at Home: A Conversation about Marriage, Love, and Family - Boston Charter Day Celebration, September 2016 - Boston, Massachusetts
- The Interconnected Atlantic World from the Eighteenth Century to the Present - Babcock Lecture in History, April 2016 - Orono, Maine
- ‘The said Margaret Prays Process against Him’: Public and Private Lives in Colonial Maine’s Court Rooms - Maine Historical Society Lecture Series, April 2016 - Portland, Maine
- ‘Unawed by the Laws of their Country’: The Role of English Law in North Carolina’s Regulator Rebellion - Early American History Seminar, March 2016 - Boston, Massachusetts
- ‘Unawed by the Laws of their Country’: The Role of English Law in North Carolina’s Regulator Rebellion - British Group in Early American History Conference, September 2015 - Sheffield, England
- An Odd Adventure: Variations on the New England Captivity Narrative Tradition - Seventeenth Century Warfare, Diplomacy & Society in the American Northeast Conference, October 2013 - Mashantucket, Connecticut
- Sexual Misconduct and Blasphemy in a Changing Massachusetts Society - Boston Charter Day Celebration, September 2013 - Boston, Massachusetts
- Co-presented Remapping Reputation: Virtue, Violence, and Victimhood - Attending to Early Modern Women Conference, July 2012 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- I Charged her to Spake the Truth: The Legal Role of the Colonial Midwife - Boston College Legal History Roundtable, February 2012 - Boston, MA
- 'Always Ready and Willing to do for them what lay in her Power': The Legal Role of the Essex County Midwife - Fine Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Faculty Research Series, February 2012 - Lowell, Massachusetts
- I Charged her to Spake the Truth: Midwives and Unwed Mothers in Essex County" - Early American History Seminar, December 2011 - Boston, MA
- Chaired and commented on Domestic Politics - New England Historical Association Conference, October 2011 - Boston, MA
- I Charged her to Spake the Truth: Midwives, Unwed Mothers and Paternity Support in Essex County - 17th Annual Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture Conference, June 2011 - New Paltz, New York
- His Relations Being Great Men: Households and Sexual Crime in Essex County Massachusetts - British Group in Early American History Conference, September 2010 - Oxford University, England
- Branching into the Classroom: Living History Away from the Museum - Association of Living History, Farm and Agricultural Museums Annual Meeting and Conference, June 2010 - Worcester, MA
- I Made Fresh Pursuit after Him: Law, Order and Sexual Misconduct on the Maine Frontier - Early American Borderlands Conference, May 2010 - St. Augustine, Florida
- He hath Absented Himself from Her: Saints and Strangers in Plymouth Colony - Early American History Conference, September 2008 - Manchester, England
- The True Case Concerning Thomas Choat: The 1705 Declaration of Deborah Proctor - 14th Annual Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture Conference, June 2008 - Boston, MA
Selected Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Archie K. Davis Research Grant (2015), Grant - North Carolinian Society
- National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Teaching Fellowship (2011), Fellowship - National Endowment for the Humanities
- Graduate Research Fellowship (2007), Fellowship - University of Maine
- Graduate Student Government Research Fellowships (2006), Fellowship - University of Maine
- Charles J. Dunn Dissertation Research Grant (2007), -
- John J. Nolde Lectureship in History (2007), - University of Maine History Department
- Phillips Library Research Fellow (2006), Fellowship - Peabody Essex Museum