Under the program, students commit to:
- Begin at one of Massachusetts’ 15 community colleges
- Complete an associate degree within 2.5 years
- Transfer to one of Massachusetts’ state universities or UMass campuses
- Complete a bachelor’s degree within 2 more years
- Continuous enrollment for a minimum of 14 credits every semester at UMass Lowell
- Maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA
In return, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts commits to:
- Freeze your tuition and fees for four years from the date you join the commitment.
- A 10% rebate of tuition and mandatory fees, payable by check or bookstore voucher, at the end of every successfully-completed semester
Commonwealth Commitment students will remain eligible for MassTransfer tuition waivers upon entering a four-year institution from a community college.
On average, successful participants in the Commonwealth Commitment will save $5,090 on the cost of their degree.
The Commonwealth Commitment is available to students enrolling in one of 24 Commonwealth Commitment/Mass Transfer Pathways programs that will roll out in fall 2016 (14 programs) and fall 2017 (10 additional programs).