Sabbatical Leave Applications and Deadlines
The chancellor may grant a sabbatical leave of absence to a faculty member who has served as such at the university for at least six consecutive academic years following initial employment or termination of previous sabbatical leave. Subject to the provisions specified by the "Memorandum of Agreement for Sabbatical Leave of Absence," sabbatical leave may be granted to a faculty member for a period of one year at half pay or a for a period of a half year at full pay.
A faculty member who wishes to be considered for sabbatical leave shall make written application to his or her Department Personnel Committee (DPC) between Oct. 1 and Oct. 10 of the academic year (AY) preceding the academic year in which sabbatical leave is requested.
In an effort to streamline and increase the efficiency of the sabbatical process, the Sabbatical Application Process is now administered through DocuSign, effective October 1, 2022.
The Sabbatical Leave of Absence Portal is now closed (Deadline Oct. 10, 2023). Applications for AY 2024-2025 are currently under review.
For questions, email: Sabbatical@uml.edu.
- Sabbatical Leave Memorandum- MSP Appendix A10 (pdf)
- Examples of Sabbatical Projects (pdf)
- DPC Chairs for AY 23-24
Applicants *Please refer to the list of DPC Chairs for AY 23-24 to ensure your DocuSign has the correct DPC Chair's email address.
- Job-aids for DocuSign:
Application Timetable Due Dates
- Applicants Submit Material to Department Personnel Committee: Oct. 1-10
- Department Personnel Committee Recommendations to Dean: Oct. 30
- College Dean Recommendations to Provost: Nov. 10
- Provost Recommendations to Chancellor: Nov. 25
- Chancellor and Provost Notify Applicants of Decisions: Dec. 10
Note: Sabbatical leave form and checklist will be available on October 1.
- Research and Creative Engagement encompasses faculty writing spaces, grant writing programs, faculty research symposiums, and NCFDD Faculty Success Program among others.
- CELT's Library Resources Collection, including becoming a content curator and having your book(s) featured.
- Office of Research Development (Services include proposal development, program offerings that support the research community, and need-based trainings, workshops, and events).
- Employee Benefits while on leave.