- Travel Expense Policy, UMass Lowell
All UML business-related travel, domestic and international, must be registered in the Travel Registry.
- Domestic travel should be registered at least 2 weeks prior to travel. Appropriate department approvals are required.
- International travel should be registered at least 1 month prior to travel. In addition to your appropriate department approvals, International Travel (email: International_Travel@uml.edu) must also be requested as an approver.
- Study-abroad students should contact the Office of Study Abroad, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: 978-934-4660.
- International students and scholars on a UMass Lowell visa sponsorship should review all related information about travel and consult with the International Students & Scholars Office )ISSO).
Resources for International Travel
International Emergency Travel Insurance Coverage
UMass students, faculty and staff traveling abroad on university-related travel are covered by the International Emergency Travel Insurance Policy with ISOS purchased by the UMass system. This coverage is intended to provide the first line of service and protection to the university’s travelers for emergency or medically urgent situations abroad.
Please note that Emergency International Travel Insurance coverage provided by UMass does not cover evacuation or other accommodations due to disruption to travel plans resulting from a pandemic. Coverage does include medical expenses resulting from the treatment of COVID-19 but does not extend to losses for travel and accommodation expenses. Please see:
- International SOS (ISOS) Member Portal
- Why Should I Call ISOS? An overview of services (pdf)
- ISOS Emotional Support Services (pdf)
International Travel with UML-Issued Electronic Devices
Any UML faculty, staff or student who are traveling abroad, whether or not on university travel status, and will be accessing university data or regulated data, should email IT Information Security at email@example.com with visiting country and travel dates no less than two weeks before travel.
Any UML faculty, staff or student who are traveling abroad, but not on university travel status, with any UML-issued electronic devices (laptop, tablet, mobile phone, etc.) should complete the Annual Certification DocuSign form found on Office of Research Integrity Travel web page prior to traveling.
- Travel Policy and Standards, policy, Board of Trustees, University of Massachusetts
- Travel Center - information, program news, blog, reimbursement portal and helpful resources
- UMass International Travel Insurance
- UMass Liability Insurance
- 2023 Mileage Rates (pdf)
- Domestic Travel Per Diem Rates
- International Travel Per Diem Rates
The Travel Collaborative is a dedicated team of owner operated seasoned travel professionals that are available to assist you in planning your travel needs.
For more information on the Travel Collaborative, visit the Travel Collaborative website.
- Office Hours: Monday-Friday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. EST
- UMass Dedicated Numbers: 855-497-8112 (toll free) and 617-497-8112
- Emergency After Hours Service (Domestic & International): 203-800-4680