Assistive Technology Resources
Depending on your needs, you may benefit from the following Assistive Technology resources.
Livescribe Smart Pen
While you're writing, your smart pen is remembering–linking everything you hear to everything you write. Later, simply tap on your notes to replay the recording.
Text to Speech
There are many free options to have your digital course materials read aloud. Please see some of the popular options below and be sure to make an appointment with our office to go over them in detail, if they would assist your in your learning.
- Microsoft Word 365 "Read Aloud": Read Microsoft documents aloud.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader DC "Read Out Loud": Read PDFs aloud.
- Natural Reader: Read PDFs and other documents right in your web browser. There are also apps for reading documents on your phone.
Voice dictation can be a helpful tool when trying to work on ideas for a paper. It can be enabled in Word, Google Docs, and other programs for free.
- Dictate in Microsoft Office 365: Use the Dictate button in the home ribbon.
- Voice Typing in Google Docs: Open a new document, select "voice typing" from the tools menu.
- Dictation in Pages on Mac: Select "systems preference", then "dictation and speech" and enable the microphone.
For people who are hard of hearing, an FM system can be used in a classroom to amplify the voice of the professor. The system is an individual piece of technology that the student will use. It consists of a FM transmitter/microphone that the speaker will wear and a FM receiver/headphone that the listener will wear.
UMass Lowell vLabs allows students, faculty and staff to access software that would normally only be in computer labs found on-campus. They can now be accessed at anytime from anywhere, including residence halls, libraries, and even from home. You now have access to any tool or application available in an on-campus lab on your Laptop, home PC, and even your tablet or smartphone.
Downloadable instructions can be found on the UMass Lowell IT website. You will need your UMass Lowell credentials to log in.
To discuss any assistive technology matters, please make an assistive technology appointment on the Accommodate website.