As a new employee to UMass Lowell, you may wish to obtain a Massachusetts driver’s license. The resources below are meant to assist you in determining how to obtain a license, what documents are needed, and how to book an appointment.
In general, to obtain a Massachusetts driver’s license you will need documentation showing US citizenship or lawful presence, a Social Security Number (SSN), and proof of Massachusetts residency.
Proof of Lawful PresenceFor non-US citizens, you will need to provide valid, verifiable immigration documents as well as proof that you have been granted a legal stay in the US for at least 12 months. In general, you should be able to provide:
- A valid, unexpired foreign passport with a valid, unexpired US visa affixed, along with an I-94 Record of Arrival and Departure
- J-1 visa holders will also need to present their Form DS-2019
- H-1B or O-1 visa holders will also need to present their I-797 Approval Notice for H-1B/O-1 status
- OPT/STEM OPT employees will also need to present their unexpired Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
Social Security Number
You will need to provide your original Social Security Number (SSN) card. You can only receive this card after you have arrived to the U.S. For information on how to apply for an SSN, please visit our Social Security for Int’l Employees webpage.
Please note that J-1 employees will first need to meet with the HR Immigration & Compliance Specialist upon arrival to the US to have their SEVIS record activated before being able to apply for an SSN.
Proof of Massachusetts Residency
You will need to provide evidence that you are a resident of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Some documents that may serve this purpose include:
- A utility bill in your name to your Massachusetts residence
- A current lease/mortgage or rental contract in your name to your Massachusetts residence
- A current pay statement to you referencing your Massachusetts residence
You will find the list of all acceptable documents for obtaining a Massachusetts driver's license below under “Helpful Links”.
For all questions related to the obtaining of a Massachusetts driver’s license, please contact Patrick Trouve, HR Immigration & Compliance Specialist.