Health promotion behavior across the lifespan, health disparities, occupational health and safety adaptation to chronic illness, pediatric HIV infection, epidemiology, and qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
Research in health promotion of children and families living with HIV infection and other chronic illnesses Nutritional epidemiologic research in pediatric HIV infection; Social policy research related to occupational risks for health-care workers.
- Ph D: Social Policy, (1993), Brandeis University
- MS: Community Health Nursing, (1985), Boston University
- BS: Nursing, (1982), Northeastern University
- Other, (1975), Massachusetts General Hospital of Nursing
Selected Awards and Honors
- Research Mentor Award (2011) - Eastern Nursing Research Society
- Visiting Professor (2010), Teaching - Mahidol University
- Visiting Professor (2010), Teaching - Queens University
- Faculty Recognition Award (2006)
- Merrimac Valley AHEC HIV Caregivers Award (2001)
- American Nurses Foundation Medal of Recognition for Research (2000)
- Eta Omega Chapter Research Award (1999) - 1999 Sigma Theta Tau
- The Merrimac Valley Area Health Education Council Outstanding Research Nurse Award (1999)
- UMASS Lowell Nursing Department Teaching Award (1999), Teaching
- American Nurses Foundation Scholar (1998)
- National Institutes of Health Nurse Scientist Research Training Program (1997)
- Ierardi, J.A., Fantasia, H.C., Mawn, B., Watson Driscoll, J. (2019). The Experience of Men Whose Partners Have Postpartum Depression. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 1078390319849102.
- Mawn, B., Gautam, R., Beehler, S. (2017). Bhutanese Older Adult Refugees Recently Resettled in the United States: A Better Life with Little Sorrows. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, In press.
- Mawn, B., Labore, N., Dixon, J., Andemariam, B. (2017). Exploring Transition to Self-Management Within the Culture of Sickle Cell Disease. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 28(1) 70-78 doi: 10.177/1043659615609404.
- Mawn, B., Thojampa, S. (2017). The Moderating Effect of Social Cognitive Factors on Self-management Activities and HbA1c in Thai Adults with type-2 Diabetes. Journal of Nursing Sciences.
- Gautam, R., Mawn, B., Beehler, S. (). Bhutanese Older Adult Refugees recently Resettled in the United States: A Better life but with Little Sorrows. Journal of Transcultural Nursing.
- Mawn, B., Tipayamongkholgul, M., Luksamijarulkul, P., Kongtip, P., Woskie, S. (2016). Occupational Hazards in the Thai Healthcare Sector. New Solutions: A Journal of Environmental & Occupational Health Policy!!!, 26(1) 83 - 102.
- Mawn, B., Fredette, J., Hood, K., Fain, J. (2016). Quality of Life of College Students Living With Type 1 Diabetes. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 38(12) 1595 - 1610 doi: 10.1177/0193945916651265.
- Mawn, B., Reilly, A., Susta, D., Staines, A., Browne, S., Sweeney, M.R. (2015). Lessons Learned about Primary Weight Maintenance and Secondary Weight Maintenance: Results from a Qualitative Study. BMC Public Health, 15 580-580 1p.
- Mawn, B., Goldberg, S.L. (2015). Predictors of Food Insecurity among Older Adults in the United States. Public Health Nursing, 32(5) 397-407.
- Mawn, B., Leonarczyk, T.J. (2014). Cancer risk management decision making for BRCA+ women. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 37(1) 66-84.
- Mawn, B. (2012). The Changing Horizons of U.S. families Living with Pediatric HIV. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 34(2) 213-229.
- Mawn, B., Goldberg, S. (2012). Trends in the Nursing Doctoral Comprehensive Examination Process: A National Survey. Journal of Professional Nursing, 28(3) 156-162.
- E., B.M., Artsanthia, J., Chaiphibalsarisdi, P., Nityasuddhi, D., K., S.T. (2011). Exploring the Palliative Care Needs of People Living in Thailand With End-Stage Renal Disease: A Pilot Study. Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing, 13(6) 403-410.
- Mawn, B. (2011). Children Voices: Living with HIV. MCN: The American Journal of Maternal/Child Nursing, 36(6) 368-372.
- Mawn, B., Fogg, C.J. (2010). Feature: HIV Screening: Beliefs and Intentions of the Homeless. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 21 395-407.
- Mawn, B., Rawiworrakul, T., Triumchaisri, S. (2010). Promoting Cultural Sustainability in the Context of Public Health: A Thai Perspective. Sustainability (2071-1050), 2(8) 2707.
- Simons, S.R., Mawn, B. (2010). Bullying in the Workplace--A Qualitative Study of Newly Licensed Registered Nurses. AAOHN journal : official journal of the American Association of Occupational Health Nurses, 58(7) 305-11.
- Koren, A., Mawn, B. (2010). The Context of Unintended Pregnancy among Married Women in the USA. The journal of family planning and reproductive health care / Faculty of Family Planning & Reproductive Health Care, Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists, 36(3) 150-8.
- Mawn, B., Koren, A., Siqueira, E., Slatin, C., Devereaux Melillo, K., Pearce, C., Hoff, L.A. (2010). Health Disparities among Health Care Workers. Qualitative health research, 20(1) 68-80.
- Mawn, B., Reece, S.M., Scollin, P. (2003). Evaluation of Faculty Transition into a Community-based Curriculum. The Journal of nursing education, 42(1) 43-47.
- Mawn, B., Pakkala, K. (2000). Immunization Update: A Community-based Nursing Education Program. Journal of continuing education in nursing, 31(3) 101-10.
- Mawn, B., Reece, S.M. (2000). Reconfiguring a Curriculum for the New Millennium: The Process of Change. The Journal of nursing education, 39(3) 101-8.
- Mawn, B. (1999). Raising a Child with HIV: An Emerging Phenomenon. Families, Systems and Health, 17(2) 197-215.
- Mawn, B. (1998). Integrating Women’s Perspectives on Prenatal Human Immunodeficiency Virus Screening: Toward a Socially just Policy. Research in nursing & health, 21(6) 499-509.
- Mawn, B., Karthas, N., Burke, K., Foster, S., Galvin, R., Hale, A., McIntosh, K., Melchiono, M. (1994). Case Management of the HIV-positive Child and Family: An Evolving Model. AIDS Patient Care, 8(2) 76-78.
- Mawn, B., Bradley, J., Mawn, B., Bradley, J. (1993). NMFF Prenatal Assessment Tool. Public Health Nursing, 10(2) 78-88.
- Mawn, B., Bradley, J. (1993). Standards of Care for High-Risk Prenatal Clients: The Community Nurse Case Management Approach. Public Health Nursing, 10(2) 78.
- Evaluation of an online nurse continuing education program to prevent patient handling injuries - the 2019 APHA Conference, November 2019
- Bhutanese Older Adult Refugees: Concerns about Aging in the U.S - A symposium presentation at the Gerontological Society of America 68th Annual Scientific Meeting, November 2016 - New Orleans, LA
- Development of Home based Palliative Care Model for People Living with End Stage Renal Disease. - Caring Summer Science Institute and World Caring Conference., July 2012 - Boulder, CO
- Readiness for HIV Screening among midlife women. - Eastern Nurses Research Society Conference, 2011 - Philadelphia, PA
- Risk and Protective Factors influencing Binge Drinking and Health Risk Consequences in a Sample of U.S. College Students. - Eastern Nurses Research Society Conference, 2011 - Philadelphia, PA
- Utilization of Primary Care Among Children with Special Needs. - Eastern Nurses Research Society Conference, 2011 - Philadelphia, PA
- Retention, Graduation, and NCLEX-RN Success of Minority Nursing Students. - 2011 NLN Education Summit, September 2011 - Orlando, FL
- Bring Diversity to Nursing: Lessons Learned after Three Years of Project Implementation, the University of Massachusetts Lowell Nursing Initiative. - 11th International Conference on Diversity in Organisations, Communities and Nations, June 2011 - Cape Town, South Africa
- Risk and Protective Factors influencing Binge Drinking and Health Risk Consequences in a Sample of U.S. College Students for American College Health Association (ACHA) - Annual Meeting, June 2011 - Phoenix, Arizona
- Children's Voices: Self Perception and Living with HIV. - Eastern Research Nurses Society, Annual Conference, 2009 - Boston, MA
- Health Belief and HIV Testing: Instrument Development and Psychometric Testing. - Eastern Research Nurses Society, Annual Conference, 2009 - Boston, MA
- Bullying Among Massachusetts Nurses: Voiced from Within. - Ending Horizontal Violence: Creating a Culture of Cohesion among Nurses Conference, 2009
- Bring Diversity to Nursing: University of Massachusetts Lowell. - New England Minority Health Education Conference, October 2009 - Providence, RI
- Beliefs and Intentions of the Homeless Toward HIV Screening. - International Sigma Theta Tau Conference, July 2009 - Acapulco, Mexico
- The Culture of Nursing. - MNA Healthcare Worker Health and Safety Conference, June 2007 - Boston, MA
- Culture of Nursing - A Factor in Nursesê Health & Safety. - American Public Health Association Conference, 2006 - Boston, MA
- Reporting of Occupational Injuries in Healthcare Facilities: Findings from Hospital, Long Term Care, and other Settings. - American Public Health Association Conference, 2006 - Boston, MA
- Health and Safety of Health Care Workers: A Hospital Case Study. - American Public Health Association Conference, December 2005
- Raising a Child with HIV. - UMass Lowell Qualitative Health Research Network Symposium, 2004
- Raising a Child with HIV: A Qualitative, Longitudinal View. - 37th Biennial Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing Convention, November 2003 - Toronto, Ontario
- Raising a Child with HIV: An Interim Report. - Friends of the National Institutes of Nursing Annual Symposium, 2000 - Washington, DC
- Raising a Child with HIV: An Interim Report. - National Institutes of Mental Health Research Conference, 2000 - Chicago, IL
- Raising a Child with HIV: An Interim Report. - Sigma Theta Tau Founderês Day Program, UMass Lowell, 2000 - Lowell, MA
- Raising a Child with HIV: An Emerging Phenomenon - Fifth International Qualitative Health Research Conference, 1999 - University of Newcastle, Australia
- Ethics and Community Health Nursing. - Merrimac Valley Area Health Education Council, 1999
- Funding Opportunities at NIH: Summary of NIH Workshop Training Program. - College of Health Professions Faculty Workshop, 1998
- Pediatric HIV Long Term Survivors: An Emerging Phenomenon. - 9th Annual AIDS Update Conference, 1997 - San Francisco, CA
- Complementary Health Therapies: Implications for Nursing. - The Massachusetts Colleges of Nursing Conference, 1997 - Fitchburg, MA
- Toward a Community Based, Health Promotion-Focused Curriculum: The Process of Change. - The Massachusetts Colleges of Nursing Conference, 1997 - Fitchburg, MA
- Immunization Education for Nurses: A Program Evaluation. - 89th Annual Massachusetts Nurses Association Convention, 1996 - Westford, MA
Selected Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Predictors of adult Bhutanese refugees’ mental health outcomes: A survey study in the northeastern United States (), Grant - Circle Health Ball for Community Health Initiatives, 2017 Community Health Initiatives grant
Gautam, R., Mawn, B., Ho, I.K.
- Pilot testing of a suicide prevention program for Bhutanese refugees. (), Grant - UMass Lowell Chancellor’s 2020 Challenge Grant Fund
Gautam, R., Mawn, B., Rizal, T.
- 2/2-Occupational Safety & Health Research, Policy & Capacity Building in Thailand (2012), Grant -
Mawn, B. (Co-Principal)
- UML Echo360 Lecture Program (2011), -
Mawn, B. (Principal)
- Quality of Life of Bhutanese Refugees Recently Resettled in the U.S (2013), Grant -
Mawn, B. (Principal)
- OSHA 2011 Graduate Nurse Internship Program (2011), -
Mawn, B. (Principal)