Process System Engineering, Systems Biology, PAT/QbD, Modeling and Simulation
Process system engineering; Systems Biotechnology; Bioprocess Innovation; Regulatory Sciences; Biomanufacturing Innovation
Process System Engineering; Systems Biology; Regulatory Sciences; Biomanufacturing Innovation; Process Analytical Technology (PAT) and Quality By Design (QbD); Application of experimental design and multivariate data analysis in biopharmaceuticals Supply chain management in biologics; and Chemometrics in life sciences
- MBA, (2017), Babson College - Wellesley MA
- Ph D: Chemical Engineering, (2001), McMaster University - Hamilton, Canada
Dissertation/Thesis Title: Using External Information for Statistical Process Control
- MS: Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, (1990), Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology - Daejon, Korea
Dissertation/Thesis Title: "Constrained multivariable Model Algorithmic Control and its Non-Minimum Phase Characteristics."
- BS: Chemical Engineering, (1988), Yonsei University - Seoul, Korea
Seongkyu Yoon is a faculty in the department of chemical engineering at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. Currently Dr. Yoon is working as a co-Director of Massachusetts Biomanufacturing Center, UMass Site Director of NSF/IUCRC Research Center, AMBIC (Advanced Mammalian Biomanufacturing Innovation Center), UMass technical lead for Manufacturing USA in Biomanufacturing (NIIMBL). Yoon is leading the systems biology research group while conducting research in systems biotechnology, life science informatics, and regulatory sciences with goals to develop an innovative biomanufacturing platform of protein/cell/gene biotherapeutics.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Ward Chaired Professor of Biomedical Material Sciences (2016)
- Sha, S., Zhuangrong, H., Agarabi, C., Lute, S., Brorson, K., Yoon, S. (2017). Estimation and control of N-linked glycoform profiles of monoclonal antibody with extracellular metabolites and two-step intracellular model. Biotechnology and Bioengineering.
- Behere, K., Canning, V., Kauten, J., Hadley, B., Beri, R., Heimback, J., Gerber, R., Yoon, S. (2017). Evaluation of a Glycosylation Control Strategy for Monoclonal Antibodies through an Integrated Experimental and Statistical Approach. Biotechnology and Bioengineering.
- Kamga, M., Roper, T., Padye, S., Li, Y., , Yoon, S. (2017). Integrated continuous biomanufacturing platform with ATF perfusion and one column chromatography operation. Biotechnology Journal
- Galbraith, S.C., Bittorf, K., Yoon, S., Meyer, R., Falmm, M., Hurley, S., Liu, H., Li, M. (2017). Modeling and simulation of continuous powder blending applied to a continuous direct compression process. International Journal of Pharmaceutics.
- Behere, K., B, C., Yoon, S. (2017). Protein A resin lifetime study: evaluation of protein A performance with a model based approach in continuous capture. Biotechnology Progress.
- Bhatia, H., Mehdizadeh, H., Drapeau, D., Yoon, S., Moshgbar, M. (2017). Quantitation of Amino Acids in Cell Cultures using Raman Spectrosc. Biotechnology Progress.
- Trunfio, N., Christie, A., Lee, H., Yoon, S. (2017). Raw Material Characterization of Mammalian Cell Cultures using Spectroscopic Methodologies and Chemometrics. Biotechnology Progress.
- Liu, H., Galbraith, S., Cha, B., Huang, Z., Park, S., Meyer, R., Flamm, M., O'Connor, T., Lee, S., Yoon, S. (2017). Three-compartmental population balance model for a continuous twin screw wet granulation process: model development and validation. International Journal of Pharmaceutics.
- Huang, Z., Lee, D., Yoon, S. (2017). Review on metabolic flux analysis in biotherapeutic development and manufacturing. Biotechnology and Bioengineering .
- Bhatia, H., Read, E., Agarabi, C., Brorson, K., Lute, S., Yoon, S. (2016). A design space exploration for control of critical quality attributes of mAb. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 512(1) 242–252.
- Reimonn, T.M., Park, S., Agarabi, C.D., Brorson, K.A., Yoon, S. (2016). Effect of amino acid supplementation on titer and glycosylation distribution in hybridoma cell cultures—Systems biology-based interpretation using genome-scale metabolic flux balance model and multivariate data analysis. Biotechnology Progress, 32(5) 1163–1173.
- Bhatia, H., Read, E., Agarabi, C., Brorson, K., Lute, S., Yoon, S. (2016). Hybridoma cell-culture and glycan profile dataset at various bioreactor conditions. Data in brief, 9 676–678.
- Sha, S., Agarabi, C., Brorson, K., Lee, D., Yoon, S. (2016). N-Glycosylation Design and Control of Therapeutic Monoclonal Antibodies. Trends in biotechnology.
- Sha, S., Yoon, S. (2016). Real time prediction and control of glycoform profile of mammalian cell cultures using in silico glycosylation model coupled with extracellular metabolites.
- Liu, H., Yoon, S., Li, M. (2016). Three-Dimensional Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Study of the Gas-Particle Circulation Pattern Within a Fluidized Bed Granulator: By Full-Factorial Design of Fluidization Velocity and Particle Size. Drying Technology.
- Shah, P.N., Kim, N., Huang, Z., Jayamanna, M., Kokil, A., Pine, A., Kaltsas, J., Jahngen, E.G., Ryan, D.K., Yoon, S., Kovar, R.F., Lee, Y. (2015). Environmentally Benign Synthesis of Vinyl Ester Resin from Biowaste Glycerin. RSC Adv., 5(48) 38673-38679.
- Lee, H.W., Christie, A., Starkey, J.A., Read, E.K., Yoon, S. (2015). Intracellular metabolic flux analysis of CHO cells supplemented with wheat hydrolysates for improved mAb production and cell-growth. Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 90(2) 291–302.
- Park, D.H., Jeon, H.S., Lee, S.Y., Choi, Y.Y., Lee, H.W., Yoon, S., Lee, J.C., Yoon, Y.S., Kim, D.S., Na, M.J., Kwon, S.J., Kim, D.S., Kang, J., Park, J.Y., Son, J.W. (2015). MicroRNA-146a inhibits epithelial mesenchymal transition in non-small cell lung cancer by targeting insulin receptor substrate 2. International journal of oncology, 47 1545+.
- Yoon, S. (2014). Basic principles and application trend of Quality By Design.
- Rathore, A., Calado, C., Gernaey, K., Yoon, S. (2014). Editorial of special issues on Process Analytical Technology. Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology.
- Kamga, M., Lee, H., Yoon, S. (2014). Modeling of protein monomer/aggregate purification by hydrophobic interaction chromatography: application to column design and process optimization.
- Lee, H., Christie, A., Starkey, J., Read, E., Yoon, S. (2014). Intracellular metabolic flux analysis of CHO cells supplemented with wheat hydrolysates for improved mAb production and cell-growth. Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology.
- Lee, H., Carvell, J., Brorson, K., Yoon, S. (2014). Dielectric spectroscopy-based estimation of VCD in CHO cell culture. Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology.
- Yousefian Jazi, A., Ryu, J., Yoon, S., Liu, J. (2014). Decision support in machine vision system for monitoring of TFT-LCD glass substrates manufacturing. Journal of Process Control, 24(6) 1015-1023.
- Yoon, S. (2013). Foreword. Journal of Pharmaceutical Bioprocessing, 1(1) 1-2.
- Yoon, S. (2013). Globalization strategy of Korean U-Health Industry via Case Study on North American U-Health Industry. Korea Institute of S&T Evaluation and Planning
- Bawn, A., Lee, H., Downey, A., Xu, J., Yoon, S. (2013). Metabolic-Sensing Characteristics of Absorption-Photometry for Mammalian Cell Cultures in Biopharmaceutical Processes. Journal of Pharmaceutical Bioprocessing, 1(3) 255-266.
- Kamga, M., Lee, H., Liu, J., Yoon, S. (2013). Quantification of Protein Mixture in chromatographic separation using Multi-wavelength UV spectra. Biotechnology Progress, 29(3) 664-71.
- Lee, H., Lawton, C., Na, Y., Yoon, S. (2013). Robustness of Chemometrics-based Feature Selection Methods in Early Cancer Detection and Biomarker Discovery. Statistical Application in Genetics and Molecular Biology, 12(2) 207-223.
- Bhoskar, P., Belongia, B., Smith, R., Yoon, S., Carter, T., Xu, J. (2013). Free light chain content in culture media reflects recombinant monoclonal antibody productivity and quality. Biotechnology Progress, 29(5) 1131-1139.
- Yoon, S., Lee, H., Liu, J. (2013). Quality characterization and classification of engineered stone countertops using a soft-sensor based on image analysis. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 52(35) 12337-12345.
- Kamga, M., Woo Lee, H., Liu, J., Yoon, S. (2013). Quantification of protein mixture in chromatographic separation using multi-wavelength UV spectra. Biotechnology Progress, 29(3) 664-671.
- Lee, H., Lawton, C.W., Na, Y., Yoon, S. (2013). Robustness of chemometrics-based feature selection methods in early cancer detection and biomarker discovery. Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology, 12(2) 207-223.
- Yousefian Jazi, A., Yoon, S., Liu, J.J., . (2012). Automatic grading of TFT-LCD glass substrates using optimized support vector machines. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 51(33) 10887-10894.
- Lee, H.W., Christie, A., Xu, J., Yoon,, ., S., . (2012). Data fusion-based assessment of raw materials in mammalian cell culture. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 109(11) 2819-2828.
- Lee, H.W., Christie, A., Liu, J.J., Yoon, S. (2012). Estimation of raw material performance in mammalian cell culture using near infrared spectra combined with chemometrics approaches. Biotechnology progress, 28(3).
- Lee, H.W., Bawn, A., Yoon, S., . (2012). Reproducibility, complementary measure of predictability for robustness improvement of multivariate calibration models via variable selections. Analytica Chimica Acta, 757 11-18.
- Flowsheet Modeling Of A Continuous Direct Compression Tableting Process At Production Scale - Focapo-Cpc 2017, 2017 - Tucson, Arizona, USA
- Online Optimization Of A Top-Spray Fluidized Bed Granulation Process Based On A Three-Stage Population Balance Model - Focapo-Cpc 2017, 2017 - Tucson, Arizona, USA
- Real time prediction and control of glycoform profile of mammalian cell cultures using in silico glycosylation model coupled with extracellular metabolites - Cell Culture Engineering XV, 2016
Selected Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Biopharmaceutical Fund (2012), Grant - Multiple Institutes
- NSF/IUCRC: AMBIC, Advanced Mammalian Bioprocessing Innovation Center (2016), Grant - NSF
Yoon, S. (Principal)
- Control and estimation of glycosylation profile via media supplementation based on intracellular models in mammalian cell cultures (2017), Grant - NSF
Yoon, S. (Principal)
- Data-fusion based platform development of population PKPD modeling and statistical analysis for bioequivalenc (2015), Grant - FDA
Yoon, S. (Principal)
- Acquisition of a Next Generation Sequencing System for Genomics Research and Training at the University of Massachusetts Lowell (2013), Grant - NSF MRI