Skip to Main Content

Health Sciences Transfer Policies

Transfer Policies

Qualified students may transfer from other colleges in the university into specified degree programs in the Zuckerberg College of Health Sciences, on a space available basis, provided they meet the departmental requirements. Students who wish to transfer to one of the majors in the Zuckerberg College of Health Sciences are advised that admission to these majors is competitive and transfer students must meet department specific cumulative grade point averages and science grade point averages. Students are advised to review transfer admission requirements on each department’s website.

otherTransfer from Other Institutions 

Courses transferred from other institutions are initially evaluated by the Office of Admissions in terms of general university requirements. When students are admitted to the university, they are also evaluated by the professional department in terms of school and program requirements. Courses transferred to the university which are not equivalent to those of the Zuckerberg College of Health Sciences or are determined to be unrestricted elective courses will be listed on students’ transcripts but may not apply to the minimum degree requirements. All previously completed courses, including transferred courses from the compact institution, will be re-evaluated in terms of their applicability to degree requirements of the Zuckerberg College of Health Sciences. Decisions regarding admission to the department are made by the chairperson of the department and is on a space available basis for qualified students. All students must satisfy all Core Curriculum, prerequisite and co-requisite requirements, plus all courses in the major to be eligible for the Bachelor of Science degree from the Zuckerberg College of Health Sciences.

The applicability of grades earned in transferred courses for the determination of the grade-point average of students’ majors at the university is determined by policies of each of the colleges. The policy of the Zuckerberg College of Health Sciences is to count such grades for required science courses for the purpose of determining the students’ science grade-point average in their professional majors. These course grades will not be counted in overall grade point average. Students who retake required science courses to improve science cumulative average will have the highest grade earned considered when that cumulative average is calculated.

Transfer Policies for CertifiedLaboratoryTechniciansCertified Laboratory Technicians

Current practitioners in the field including associate degree graduates with MLT (ASCP) certification may seek entry to the Department of Biomedical & Nutritional Sciences through transfer of credits acceptable to the university. Comparable didactic courses are available for challenge in the clinical practice and upper division courses.

RepetitionCoursesRepetition of Transferred Courses

Students who have been granted transfer credit, and, on this basis, have been assigned to advanced courses for which the transferred course is a prerequisite, may be advised to repeat such transferred work at the university or to take a more elementary course than that which has been transferred when the competence of the student has been demonstrably inadequate. Permission to repeat a transferred course is granted by filing an academic petition form through the Office of the Dean. Since credit may not be granted more than once for the completion of any course, a condition for filing such a petition is the simultaneous filing of a request to revoke recognition of the previously transferred course.

IntercollegiateTransferIntercollegiate Transfer to the Zuckerberg College of Health Sciences

Students wishing to transfer from another college of the university, or from baccalaureate continuing education programs of the university, must file a petition, together with a current transcript, with the appropriate chairperson and the Dean of the Zuckerberg College of Health Sciences. Students should refer to university policies concerning intercollegiate transfer Academic Policies: Change of Major with Intercollegiate Transfer for further procedural details.