Guest & User Policies
- Authorized Access
- Checkout Equipment
- Lockers and Personal Property
- Lost and Found
- Inclement Weather
- CRC Guests
- Fitness Center
- CRC Gymnasium
- Racquetball, Squash and Tennis Court
- CRC Indoor Track
- Campus Recreation Complex
- Intramural Sports Spectators
- Free Wheelers
- Cell Phone, Photo, Video
- Appropriate Attire
- Food and Beverages
- Outdoor Center & Bike Shop
Authorized Access authorized
The use of the Campus Recreation Center (CRC), Campus Recreation Complex, Riverview Fitness Center (RFC) and related programs are intended for the students, faculty and staff of the UMass Lowell (UML) community. The CRC, Campus Recreation Complex and RFC are card-access controlled facilities. Only authorized users, guests of authorized users, and approved groups are allowed to enter our facilities.
Authorized users with no additional cost include full-time UMass Lowell students, faculty, staff, adjunct faculty, or part-time and continuing-ed students who are in a matriculating program. A valid student or staff UCARD is needed to gain admittance into our facilities.
Certain groups are eligible to purchase a membership to the CRC and RFC. Purchasing a membership allows members to access the CRC, RFC, and Campus Recreation Complex during operating hours; visit our member services page for more information.
Authorized users must present their UMass Lowell UCARD or a CRC membership card to a staff member to scan into our facilities and have access to our free equipment checkout privileges. Authorized users can also user their ID to scan into the gate outside at the Campus Recreation Complex to use the turf fields or tennis courts when available.
False representation of identification or sharing your ID is strictly prohibited and will result in immediate dismissal of patron from our facilities.
- Students caught will be referred to the UMass Lowell Student Conduct Office
- The Students ID which was misused will have their CRC/RFC access temporarily suspended pending the conclusion of the UMass Lowell Conduct process
- Campus Recreation reserves the right to revoke the membership of a paid member (non-student); membership fees will not be refunded
- Equipment can be checked out and returned from the CRC Welcome Desk or RFC desk with a valid UML UCARD or CRC Membership card using our card scan system
- Items lost, stolen, or broken are subject to a replacement fee
Lockers and Personal Property
- Campus Recreation is not responsible for the security of valuables and personal articles. “Non-activity” personal belongings must be placed in lockers
- A majority of our lockers are available on a daily use basis only
- The RFC is equipped with lockers that have digital locks so no portable locks are needed
- There are additional day-use hallway lockers inside the CRC equipped with mechanical locks built into the lockers so no locks are necessary for these units
- Half-size lockers in the CRC locker rooms do not have locks; patrons may bring their own portable locks if desired.
- Full-size lockers in the CRC locker rooms are equipped with mechanical locks built into the lockers so no locks are necessary for these units.
- If items are left overnight inside a daily use locker at the CRC or RFC, any locks used will be cut and personal belongings will be logged and then placed in our lost and found; these items will then follow our lost and found process.
- We store lost and found items for two-weeks after which items will be donated to goodwill. Valuable items (wallets, money, credit cards, cell phones, etc.) will be turned over to UMass Lowell Campus Police immediately.
- Select lockers can be rented for long-term use inside the CRC men's and women's locker rooms. Rental options include 3, 6, or 12 months as well as a semester option for faculty/staff/students. Visit our website for current prices.
Lost and Found
- We log items daily and store in our equipment center for two weeks (after which items will be donated to goodwill).
- Valuable items (wallets, money, credit cards, cell phones, etc.) will be turned over to UMass Lowell Campus Police immediately.
Some memberships include parking access to the CRC Lot, East Campus Garage, Broadway/Riverview Lot (South Campus access to RFC) and come with a parking hangtag to display in the rearview mirror.
Please note: Parking is not included for the MCC Student Memberships or university affiliates who purchase the adult membership (excludes MCC Faculty/Staff who are eligible for parking). University affiliate members not eligible for parking through their Adult Membership should contact UCard, Access and Parking Services (UCAPS) to see if they are eligible to purchase a UML parking permit through their office.
For paid members who are eligible for parking, there are 10 parking spots in the CRC lot that are reserved for these members, Monday - Friday, 6 a.m. - 6 p.m. We ask that our paid members park in these ten spots first before trying to park in the other spots which are also available for faculty/staff.
Please Note: Purchasing a membership does not guarantee a parking spot, just the access to park in the designated lots when available. There are instances where the lots will be closed for University events or programs. To view parking lots our eligible members have access to park in, please visit the UMass Lowell Maps website.
If the university is delayed or closed due to inclement weather, check the Campus Recreation website homepage for any change in operating hours; or follow UMLCRCupdates on Twitter for direct updates or changes on facility hours or programs.
A member (host) can bring up to two guests per day into the CRC. A $10 guest fee is required for each guest; they must present a valid picture ID showing they are 18+ to be able to sign liability forms and enter the facility.
- We will keep the host and guest(s) ID's at our desk until they exit facility
- The host must accompany their guest(s) at all times
- A host takes full responsibility for their guest(s) actions and are also responsible for conveying our facility policies to their guest(s)
- When the host exits the facility, the guest must also leave
- Guest can re-enter facility same day with their host and copy of guest fee receipt
- Guest fees can be paid with credit card (no checks or AMEX).
- Guests may not check out equipment
Fitness Center (Campus Recreation Center - CRC & Riverview Fitness Center - RFC)
- Participants should use extreme caution with any of the fitness equipment to avoid potential injuries to themselves or others. Please see one of our Fitness Attendants to learn how to properly use a piece of equipment.
- All participants performing free weight exercises are encouraged to use a spotter. If needed, a fitness center attendant may be available for assistance.
- All lifts using the Olympic barbells must be done in designated areas or inside the power racks/Olympic benches.
- Proper exercise attire is required at all times: Closed-toe athletic shoes, upper-body garments and garments which discreetly cover the lower body.
- Please use a clean towel to wipe down the exercise equipment after each use. We recommend that you wipe down equipment before each use as well.
- All equipment must be returned to its appropriate storage location after use; all equipment must remain in the Fitness Center.
- Participants must use weight collars when using barbells and weight plates (except on Smith Machines).
- Food, gum, alcohol and drugs are prohibited. Water and sports drinks in closed containers are allowed.
- We recommend locking all valuables in the locker rooms (or hallway lockers in CRC). Campus Recreation is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Large bags are not allowed to be left out on the fitness center floor where they can cause a tripping hazard. Approved locations include in front of the power racks or inside the footprint of Olympic benches. Our staff reserve the right to ask patrons to move to safe location or inside a locker.
- Windows must remain closed at all times; it is important to maintain the appropriate temperature and humidity.
- Intentionally dropping or throwing weights is prohibited (except for bumper plates inside CRC Fitness Center in designated power rack area).
- Patrons may use equipment we provide inside the fitness center. We do not allow outside fitness equipment/accessories in our facility that we deem inappropriate or unsafe.
- Chalk is allowed in the fitness center or any area in the CRC or RFC.
Our Fitness Center policies are created with these basic principles in mind:
- Safety of our patrons is #1.
- The CRC and RFC fitness centers should be an inviting and non-intimidating environment so exercisers from all fitness levels feel comfortable and welcomed.
- Equipment or exercises that damage our facilities/equipment shall be prohibited.
- Actions that inconvenience other patrons will be prohibited.
- Dunking is permitted. Hanging on rims and nets is prohibited.
- Only non-marking, closed toe athletic shoes allowed.
- Spitting, profanity and fighting are prohibited. Violators will be instructed to leave the facility.
- If assistance is needed for court set-up and/or equipment, please contact the student Facility Supervisor on duty or a Campus Recreation professional staff member.
- While full court games are in progress, spectators may not shoot at either basket.
- Hats are not allowed on the courts.
Racquetball, Squash, and Tennis Courts
- Please refrain from marking the racquetball/squash court walls with shoes and/or rackets.
- Our squash court has been converted to additional fitness space based on student demand.
- Racquetball and tennis court reservations can be made for the same day or the following day; no reservations will be taken more than a day in advance. Reserve a court online.
- Reservations are one hour in length and are made on the hour.
- A limit of one reservation per person, per day will be in effect.
- Please leave the court promptly at the conclusion of your reservation time.
- Reservation is lost if patron is not on the court 15 minutes past the hour reserved.
- All patrons are required to wear protective eyewear in the racquetball court, which can be attained at the welcome desk. Protective eyewear is not required in the squash or tennis courts.
- The CRC indoor track is for running and walking.
- Faster participants will keep to the outside lanes and slower participants will yield on the inside.
- Appropriate closed-toe athletic shoes required; running spikes are prohibited.
- Directional signs will specify clockwise or counter-clockwise running/walking direction based on day of the week. Participants must follow the directional sign at all times.
Campus Recreation Complex
- No alcohol or tobacco products
- No drinks except water on turf
- No dogs (except guide dogs)
- No food or gum
- No seeds or nuts
- No metal spikes
- No glass
- No golf
Intramural Sports Spectators (Non-UMass Lowell)
Non-UMass Lowell Spectators are allowed at UMass Lowell Intramural Sports competitions inside the CRC. Spectators are only allowed into the CRC to watch the one game they came to see and must be signed in by a participating host.
- Spectators are not allowed to participate in activities.
- Spectators will not be charged a guest fee as they will be expected to exit the facility immediately after the game.
- Minor spectators are allowed during intramural competitions only when accompanied by a parent or guardian; parents and guardians are required to complete a minor liability release form for each child under 18 years of age, for each visit.
- Faculty, staff and students can check out Free Wheeler bikes for free after they register.
- To check out a Free Wheeler, participants must register for Free Wheelers online or register in person at a designated checkout station. After completing registration, participants present their UML UCARD to the staff at any of the checkout stations on campus to check out a bike. A bike, helmet, and lock is included with a rental.
- Free Wheelers must be returned to one of the five Free Wheeler bike stations on campus by specified closing time. Visit the Free Wheeler website for current hours.
- If a bike is returned after the designated time, a $20 late fee will be charged, and the participant will not be able to check out another Free Wheeler until the late fee is paid.
- If a bike is lost or stolen, the participant is responsible for paying for its replacement. Currently the fee to replace a Free Wheeler is up to $800.
Cell Phone, Photo and Video
Photography and videography are permitted in Campus Recreation facilities for personal use, with the exception of restrooms, locker room spaces, and during group fitness classes. All personal photography and videography are strictly prohibited in these spaces and classes.
Taking photos and videos must be done in a safe manner, must not interfere with Campus Recreation operations and must not disrupt other patrons' activities.
Taking photos or videos of patrons without their consent is strictly prohibited. Campus Recreation staff reserve the right to ask any patron to cease taking photos/videos if they suspect a policy violation. Any violation is cause for immediate removal from Campus Recreation facilities and possible suspension or revocation of membership.
"For personal use" is defined as photo and video of yourself or consenting friends obtained in an informal manner. Cameras with interchangeable lenses as well as tripods are not permitted for personal use.
Please contact University Relations by phone: 978-934-3224 or email: email@example.com for any commercial photography/videography requests. All commercial requests will be coordinated and approved in collaboration with University Relations.
Appropriate attire is required in all Campus Recreation facilities, programs and activities.
- Upper body garments are required in all activity areas. Garments which discreetly cover the lower body are required in all areas.
- Closed-toe, non-marking athletic-type shoes that are free of debris are required in all activity areas except for the pool or for specific programs (yoga, etc.).
- Hats are allowed in the fitness center, on the track and all non-activity spaces. Hats are not allowed in the racquetball/squash courts or gymnasium for safety purposes.
Food and Beverages
- Food and candy is allowed in designated areas only and is not allowed in activity areas. Designated areas include: Atrium and hallways.
- Water bottles are allowed in non-breakable, sealable containers in all areas of the CRC, Campus Rec Complex and RFC.
- Gum is not allowed in the CRC, Campus Rec Complex or RFC.
- No animals are allowed in the CRC, Campus Rec Complex or RFC except guide dogs.
- Profane or indecent language will not be tolerated.
- The use of tobacco or tobacco substitute products is not permitted on-site.
- The possession of alcohol or recreational drugs will not be permitted in the CRC or RFC nor on its grounds.
- Individuals under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs will not be permitted in Campus Recreation facilities nor on its grounds.
- Spitting or intentionally creating other health hazards will not be permitted.
- Verbal or physical altercations will not be permitted.
- Spectators will be required to adhere to all policies stated for Campus Recreation participants.