For $75 (Fall/Summer), $50 (Spring) a student, faculty or staff can rent a bike with a lock, helmet and lights for the entire semester. The program is meant to serve those who would like to be avid riders, but either don't own their own bike or are on campus for a semester and bringing or buying their own bike is not feasible.
2022-23 Semester Free Wheelers Rentals
Summer 2022 - $75
- Pickup starting: May 16, 2022 at 1 p.m.
- Return due date: August 16, 2022 at 5 p.m.
Fall 2022 - $75
- Pickup starting: August 29 , 2022 at 1 p.m.
- Return due date: December 16, 2022 at 5 p.m.
- Pickup starting: February 27, 2023 at 1 p.m.
- Return due date: May 5, 2023 at 5 p.m.
- Pickup starting: May 15, 2023 at 1 p.m.
- Return due date: August 25. 2023 at 5 p.m.
Semester Rental Bikes are:
To Rent a Semester Bike
- Register for the Free Wheelers program. This will include a rental agreement, safety quiz and waiver.
- Contact the UMass Lowell Bike Shop by phone: 978-934-6797 or email: Freewheelers@uml.edu to confirm availability and schedule a pick up. Walk-ins may also be available.
- Pick up your bike and pay at the Bike Shop 5-2 Lawrence Drive Lowell, MA 01854
- Renters must register online for the Free wheelers program.
- Bikes are available in limited quantities and are first come first served, one bike per person for current students, faculty and staff.
- Full semester rental bicycles can be dropped off for service at the UMass Lowell Bike Shop at any time. Regular Maintenance from normal wear is included in the cost of the rental.
- By renting a bike you agree to be held financially responsible if the bike is damaged or stolen. Damage repair and new parts due to damage are the financial responsibility of the renter.
- Renters must supply their own bike light batteries.
- If a renter reserves a bike that does not fit them, the bike shop may exchange or cancel and refund their reservation at its discretion.
- Renters returning bikes with damage or abnormal wear and tear will be charged an appropriate repair fee. Anyone not returning a bike will be charged up to $500 replacement fee. A hold will be placed on the borrowers university account and he/she will also not be allowed to register for classes without paying the replacement fee.