The Office of Technology Commercialization (OTC), (formerly Commercialization, Venture & Intellectual Property (CVIP)) is responsible for the protection and commercialization of intellectual property at UMass Lowell. Faculty and staff who are looking for information on how to protect their intellectual property should visit the Faculty Assistance section. Invention disclosure forms are also available there. Companies and entrepreneurs interested in licensing technology or sponsoring research at the university should visit the Company Resources page.
If you have any questions, contact our office at any time.
The mission of UMass Lowell’s Office of Technology Commercialization (OTC) is to facilitate the transfer of technology arising from government, foundation and industrial sponsored university research to the private sector. We facilitate development of inventions toward commercial relevance and utility, nurture mutually beneficial and sustainable relationships between the University and industry, promote an innovative and entrepreneurial culture at the University and contribute to the economic vibrancy and well being of the Commonwealth. OTC’s activities enable the successful transfer of commercially viable technology from the laboratory to the marketplace for public use and benefit.
The main objectives of OTC are:
- to license patents and other protections to industry in order to promote the development of inventions toward practical application
- to foster a culture of innovation, facilitate commercially promising endeavors, and positively contribute to the University’s entrepreneurial ecosystem
- to seek new business opportunities and form productive collaborations with industry in an effort to increase research and licensing revenue to the University
- to generate income for inventors and the University as a whole for use in supporting further research, technology development and transfer
- to advocate for the research community and seek to create incentives, provide rewards and obtain resources to advance commercialization of the technologies they generate